Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're all gonna die!!...uhm...in 2014, that is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if there are any reliable calculations that suggest whether nuking an asteroid would have any effect or not?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I'll make sure I'm wearing a really good hat. And steel-capped boots. Then I will be alright.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

Stop it? Why'd you want to do that? Use the time to scout out a good seat.
        I was just imagining a scenario where it could not be diverted from hitting Earth but could be diverted enough to affect where it hits, say China or North America.

So NASA land a small rocket on the asteroid and push it towards China. The Chinese land a rocket and push it towards the USA.....

Apologies if my sense of humour offends anyone.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

We should get all politicians and extremists on an island and then send Bruce and Ben up there to help guide that big rock dead on this island
          Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
          Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
          Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Hell, I'll be busy stock piling Spam in a cave so when the Asteroid hits it will just be me an OBL left.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
              Stop it? Why'd you want to do that? Use the time to scout out a good seat.
              It would be time to max out the credit cards and take out a loan. Then you party it up like it's 1999 again.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

It would be time to max out the credit cards and take out a loan. Then you party it up like it's 1999 again.
                I said, why'd you want to stop it? Maxing out your credit cards and going into huge debt is a sure fire way to make sure it doesn't hit.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Maybe Taco Bell will throw a big target somewhere, and if it hits the target we'll all get free tacos!!!!
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

yeah, I bet a lot of guys could get lucky!
                    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                      Maybe Taco Bell will throw a big target somewhere, and if it hits the target we'll all get free tacos!!!!
                      I could almost see them actually doing that!
                      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

Comment

[Taco Bell dog]
                        Viva Gorditos!
                        [/Taco Bell dog]

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                          I wonder if there are any reliable calculations that suggest whether nuking an asteroid would have any effect or not?
                          A nuke detonated in deep space would not produce a shockwave, only radiation. So a nuke would only be effective against an asteroid if it detonated right on the surface or inside.

Comment

Let's have a show of hands: If a thing this big hits, how many here actually think that humanity can do anything about it?

I say no. We have no chance. There's no technology available. nor is any technology likely to emerge within the next twelve years that will counter a threat like this.

Nukes??

It'll just laugh and keep on coming.

Asmodean
                            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

We need Kirak (Capt. Kirk) and Miramani to go into the obelisk thingy and appease the god's so that the asteroid won't hit us.

Any Trekkies out there remember that episode?
                              signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

If it hits LA then I'm cool with it.
                                If it hits LA you probably shouldn't even be on the West Coast...
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X