No announcement yet.

"Conservatives only use hate & fear while Liberals use logic & reason."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elijah, you are very right. There are hotheads, both liberals and conservates, while the vast majority are well behaved.

The key words is that both sides are guilty of using violence to defend their position, both liberal and conservative
    Agreed. As a person who deals with concepts, other peoples interpretations and actions upon them mean very little. I disagree with the BNP, not because they are racist thugs, but because their policies suck.

But ANY kind of generalization you make of any political group is wrong.

And yes -- I see that now you have realized that such generalizations are wrong.
    Spelling Nazi: Spell it BRITISHLY!!!

Look at my argument, it is not a generalisation, merely an observation, backed up by conceptual evidence. A generalisation based upon that would be "Conservatives are less intelligent than liberals", which if you are reading, is something that I completely disagree with.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Indeed, all the intellectuals I know are liberal, whereas non-intellectuals (that is irrelevant to intelligence which is a completely irrelevant matter) have a far higher proportion of conservatives, in my experience, the experience of others, and speaking generically.

And there is the fly in the ointment. The 'proof' is based on personal experiences and generalizations based on those experiences.

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It is mostly true in the UK, to be fair.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Nothing interesting at all......
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And there is the fly in the ointment. The 'proof' is based on personal experiences and generalizations based on those experiences.
            No, its based on the concepts behind either position and my personal experiences which are somewhat extensive. Indeed, if the situation wasn't as extreme, it wouldn't be fair to make a small scale generalisation about my experiences, but thats not the case. All the intellectuals (students, family, friends, extended family, friends of family, acquaintances etc) are liberals with no exception that I can think of (well Drogue claims to be a centrist but he has a similar liberalism to me).
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Elijah: regarding your post on how neoconservatives rely on such things because they seek to impose their values on others (a basic summary), I'd like to point out that there are groups of liberals who seek to do this too. Soviet communists tried to impose their ideology on others as well. So you're still wrong.

Comment

'liberals use reason and logic...while conservatives only use fear and hate'

what about:
                Liberals only use reason and logic....

??
                eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Thankyou GePap: Couldn't have put a description of this thread better myself!

Well... I suppose it could have been a lot more entertaining

MikeH: I imagine the situation is different in the USA, but I can think of numerous sociological factors for that being the case.

Comment

Elijah: regarding your post on how neoconservatives rely on such things because they seek to impose their values on others (a basic summary), I'd like to point out that there are groups of liberals who seek to do this too. Soviet communists tried to impose their ideology on others as well. So you're still wrong.
                    The day I consider the Soviets to be liberal is the day I'll be chewing icicles in hell!! How do you arrive at the conclusion that they are liberal, when these are some of the most conservative people that ever lived!?!?!

EDIT: A liberal by my definition is a moral relativist and usually cultural too, though most are less extreme in that respect than me, but enough so to be inherently pacifist.

Comment

Communist = left-wing extreme = liberal.

Unless we're subscribing to the definition of liberals as those who use logic and reason. In which case I agree with you

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Nothing interesting at all......
                        The Conservatives know they are wrong so they are insulting Elijah to pump up thier deflated egos.

Comment

GePap was dissing a conservative, Odin

Comment

Communist = left-wing extreme = liberal.
                            How very one dimensional Not really worth serious response... unless I'm really provoked

Unless we're subscribing to the definition of liberals as those who use logic and reason. In which case I agree with you

Comment

how did people come to the conclusion reds are liberal?
                              And how did we get to liberals being left-wing?
                              eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
                                How very one dimensional Not really worth serious response... unless I'm really provoked

So communists are conservative? If you dismiss them becuase of their extreme ideology, you fall into the second case I described. There, I was only half joking.

Oh, I forgot to mention another consequence of that definition: I am a liberal and you are not

j/k

Comment

Working...
                                X