Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Sucks !

Well, not exactly...
    I have just installed Redhat 9 today on my PC, and it seems stable and easily accessible so far. I have been pleased by the ease of installation. It seems the Linux community has done tremendous progress in a few years about it, from when it was a pure-geek OS. Besides, the interface looks really professional (I installed both Gnome and KDE). I still have a few things to discover (like where the heck is the "search" function in the file manager), but overall, I'm pretty impressed with Redhat's performance regarding user-friendliness.

However, I have three beefs with it:

- unlike my previous Redhat 8 (which I didn't use at all), this cretin Linux refuses to let me have a 1024*768 resolution which would strectch to fit my 1600*1200. Either I have 1024*768 pixels displayed in the middle of the screen, or I have to go to the 1600 Res. In both cases, it's way too small and kills my eyes. I tried quite a fex changes (changed the resolution, changed the alledged max. res, defined the ppp, etc.) to no avail If I can't fix that, thes Redhat will follow the same fate as the previous one.

- I still can't access my NTFS partitions under Linux . Mind you, I have been so busy looking for solutions for my Res problems, I didn't look for solutions to access NTFS. I actually switched to RedHat 9 because someone told me it understood NTFS out of the box Well, I'll look into it as soon as I solve this resolution issue...

- I couldn't make a "swap" particion. I've let 520 Megs out of any partition in the past, and RedHat refused to use it as swap. A problem with Cylinders apparently (can't know more). Fortunately, my PC is generous with RAM (1024 Mb), so it's not that bad.

I'm still wondering what I could be using Linux for, that isn't already done by Windows. I don't program, I can't access any of my files for now, and I'm not that fond of XBill I guess I could use my RedHat like my Windows, since OpenOffice seems a good alternative to MSOffice, and I have yet to see if my other tools (PaintShopPro, Dreamweaver, PowerPoint, FLICster) have a good equivalent under Linux.

BTW, can anybody tell me if I can find real games free for download under Linux ? I heard about FreeCiv and Quake. Are there other games free for download ?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Recompile your kernel with NTFS read support, but don't enable write support.

And yes, this is precisely why Linux does suck for desktops.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

RTFM!!!

God Windows users are so lazy and stupid.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          Recompile your kernel with NTFS read support, but don't enable write support.

En Anglais?
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I have a laptop
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
              RTFM!!!

God Windows users are so lazy and stupid.
              No, we just concentrate on more important and productive stuff than "10 trillion possible ways you can **** around with your OS"
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                I have a laptop
                Linux is even worse on laptops.

Comment

Linux is even worse on laptops.
                  I knew you just wouldn't resist

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

No, we just concentrate on more important and productive stuff than "10 trillion possible ways you can **** around with your OS"

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Well, the problem with this resolution crap is that I can't find anything on the 'net about that problem. It seems none of this geeks can believe a resolution can be too high Every time people seem to have a beef with their resolution (in Minux circles), it's about whining their resolution is too low and thay can't boast their 2500* 1800 to their friends

Comment

If they are boasting about high res, ask how to change your text and icon(ewww iconsuke sizes. Then set the text and icons(ewww) to readable sizes.
                        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                        XGalaga.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

True, so true. It's like people who have a car in their garage merely for the purposes of working on the engine. They never really drive the damn thing, they just want to tinker with it.

Comment

Stupid Red Hat... The stupid games crashed my high-end computer (refused to respond) so I hard booted, OS now refuses to start. And I can't find out what file to modify so I can start in Gnome instead of having to type startx every frickin time.
                            cIV list: cheats
                            Now watch this drive!

Comment

Linux is more stable and secure than Windows, doncha know.

It crashed because of you, not because Linux isn't an uncrashable, unhackable tank like so many people want to believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X