• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-of-M: ∞, CMU: very little
    cIV list: cheats
    Now watch this drive!

Comment

OSU looked very good... or Washington looked very bad, I can't decide which one applies . Maybe both.

USC was VERY impressive. I don't think we have to work about them losing Palmer and Fargus, with that D, they'll contend.

I think USC moves to 5, Auburn falls to around 12, OSU may be #1 (even though Oklahoma looked solid as well). Nebraska may enter the Top 25... great D.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

OSU looked very good... or Washington looked very bad, I can't decide which one applies . Maybe both.
        While they didn't blow out Washington, it was pretty much a command performance through 3 quarters. They looked very confident and disciplined for a first game of the year. Not explosive like Miami sometimes seems to look on their best days, though.

Is college "football" a professional sport?
        Good question. To add to the description given above, college football is an amateur sport, dates to the late 1860s and was the pioneer of the sport of football. At the time, it used a ball like a soccer ball and was played with ad hoc local and team rules. The ball was changed to the pigskin in the 1870s, the rules were pretty much standardized in the 1880s (downs, 11 players per side). In the very early 20th centery, because there were too many deaths and injuries of players, the forward pass was instituted.

It's a huge sport. Attendance at games is about 45 million per year, which is about 3x of what professional football puts in the stands, even though each professional team plays a third more games than do college football teams (there are about 600 college football teams). The Ohio State game tonight had 105,000 people in the stands. For context, the whole town of Columbus, where OSU is located, has about 1 million people.

Btw, association football also got its formal start in the 1860s. That's why there is a great deal of justification for using the term "soccer" (i.e., . Or at least if you want to label ours as "American football".
        Last edited by DanS; August 31, 2003, 02:05.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Nebraska may enter the Top 25... great D

That's what I've heard. God bless Bo Pellini.

Jammal Lord and the offense are still ****e, however, so this season could still go in the crapper. Knowing my luck, however, they'll probably make the most amazing comeback title-run in history, just to spite me.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

For elijiah...

KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Texas 66 - NMSU 7

Comment

Hey.. Irman quit reporting the Wisconsin game....

They won....

"On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin!! Break right through that line....."
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                X