X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-11 Transcripts Reveal Haunting Images

42 minutes ago
    by LARRY McSHANE, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - On the 78th floor of the World Trade Center, Anthony Savas waited vainly for help in a stranded elevator. Fifty-six stories below, a woman used wet tissues to keep out the smoke as Gene Raggio climbed to her aid. And outside the doomed twin towers, Ed Strauss waited for two co-workers. These final glimpses of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attack, along with the first frightening peek behind the scenes of the nation's worst terrorist attack, emerged Thursday from 2,000 pages of transcripts released by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the trade center's owner.

Savas, Raggio and Strauss were three of the 47 civilian Port Authority employees killed in the attack that collapsed the twin towers.

"Listen, this is Tony Savas," the Port Authority construction inspector says. "I'm on the 78th floor. I'm trapped in the elevator. Water and debris is coming down. ... Please send somebody to open the doors."

The transcripts also detailed the frenzy of phone calls that followed the terrorist attack on the trade center: Trapped workers begging for an escape route from its 106th-floor restaurant. Anguished wives desperately seeking lost husbands. Screams and sirens echoing in the background as bodies dropped from the sky.

Many callers were inaudible, yet the horror and hysteria of the September morning jumps off the typed pages.

"Yo, I've got dozens of bodies, people just jumping from the top of the building onto ... in front of 1 World Trade," says a male caller. "People. Bodies are just coming from out of the sky ... up top of the building."

"Bodies?" replies a female operator.

Raggio, 55, an operations supervisor at the trade center, responded to a call for help from a woman trapped when the doors wouldn't open on the 22nd floor.

"How are you doing up there?" he asked.

A woman responded they had used wet tissues to keep the smoke out, but they couldn't escape.

"OK," said Raggio. "We are working our way up to 22."

Strauss, 44, of Edison, N.J., called for help from co-workers in the midst of the disaster.

"Can you send me a couple people?" he asked. Strauss said he would meet them on "Church Street, kinda, right by the steps here." He was not heard from again.

A spokesman for the Port Authority praised the efforts of its workers under an extraordinary strain compounded by confusion and miscommunication.

The transcripts "show people performing their duties very heroically and very professionally on a day of horror," Port Authority spokesman Greg Trevor said.

The transcripts were created from tapes of emergency calls and radio transmissions made after the hijacked planes were slammed into the twin towers by al-Qaida operatives. Their release comes two weeks before the second anniversary of the attack.

Callers reported missiles fired downtown from the top of the Chrysler Building, and a bomb scare came in from the George Washington Bridge. There were decisions that proved disastrous, like setting up a command center in the doomed north tower.

For some, there was the sweet relief of breathing in the temporarily fresh air.

"I'm alive, Dennis," said one man who was not identified. "I'm outside the building and I'm healthy."

At least two wives, unaware they were to be widows, tried to learn their husbands' whereabouts. Neither Port Authority Officer Donald McIntyre nor his boss, Executive Director Neil Levin, ever made it home.

People were stranded throughout the buildings, with calls for help pouring in from the 78th floor, the 88th, the 103rd, the 107th. One male caller from the 92nd floor of the second tower asked a Port Authority police officer, "Should we stay or should we not?"

"I would wait 'til further notice," the officer replied.

A similar call — with the same police response — came in shortly after. No one in the top floors of the tower survived after the second plane hit around the 80th floor shortly after 9 a.m.

The evacuation of 2 World Trade Center, the second tower hit, became a source of anguish to the victims' families. Some survivors have already said they were advised to remain in the building.

The transcripts illustrate the contradictory information within the Port Authority itself in the initial moments, with one conversation reflecting an early discussion of evacuating people from the two buildings after the first plane hit. In all, an estimated 25,000 people successfully evacuated the towers.

Windows on the World assistant manager Christine Olender called to report people stranded on the 106th floor.

"We need direction as to where we need to direct our guests and our employees, as soon as possible," she says, citing increasing smoke.

"We're doing our best," replied a Port Authority officer. "We're trying to get up to you, dear."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

And your point is....what? That you know how to cut and paste an article off a news website? That 9/11 was a tragedy? Agreed. 9/11 was tragic and horrible and we should never forget what happened. Are we going to rehash this every year, though?

Comment

I don't know if it's healthy anymore to go over this too many times, but these transcripts are new thing, so I figure this thread is pretty much legit.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Stick it up your ass, Feephi.
        I might post something every single year.
        Don't open the thread if you don't want to know.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I think this is fine, we need to be reminded why our soldiers are doing what they are doing now, this is the reason, we should never forget or let it get to the back of our minds, IMO.
          Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
            I don't know if it's healthy anymore to go over this too many times, but these transcripts are new thing, so I figure this thread is pretty much legit.
            I think there's legitimate need for them- the need to document for history's sake, etc. .

Unfortunately, the media is going to run absolutely wild with it.
            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Usually the focus is on firefighters and cops when thinking about that day, but IMO amazing job was done by those answering in 911..

Did it get stuck though? I don't know how they pulled that off, must of been one long day for them as well.

Jac, Absolutely, I agree. And I'm afraid of media overdoing these transcripts too. But we'll see. I think they'll try to be careful.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

It's a shame that all of this is being rehashed.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What does rehashing mean?
                  In da butt.

Comment

It means going over the incident again.
                    You are "rehashing it", reliving it again.
                    Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

How can you overdo transcripts?
                      Why would anyone not want to know exactly how terrible it was, for all?

Some, like 1 jackass earlier in the thread, might want to forget, but tough.
                      That's why I'll put something here, year after year after year.

Never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        How can you overdo transcripts?
                        Why would anyone not want to know exactly how terrible it was, for all?
                        Because, so close to the anniversary, we should be celebrating their lives, not rehashing their deaths.

The more I start to think about it, the more I think it's a bad idea. Especially since the families werent consulted by the Port Authority, IIRC.
                        "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Defiant, thanks for the definition. Learning never stops.

I don't have a position on this myself, but these transcripts are new, and news stations all over the world has reported this same thing, so making thread about it is not rehashing in negative way I think. It's big news.

Besides, Iraq is on the news every single day that's all I get from my news channels. This is new 'inside info' on the case, so I think it matters.

Personally I think the worst mistake one can make is to be careless. Too much confidence kills, you have to be informed and people are not very smart creatures, they need to be informed again and again and again. Not to forget, that OBL is still free, so I think we shouldn't let this thing go away slowly and unnoticed. We should be chasing this mofo and the rest of the crews like the first day it started. And furthermore, if someone doesn't want to read them or experience the horror by the words of the ones inside, don't read it.
                          In da butt.

Comment

There's a difference between not forgetting and shoving this crap in everyone's face. The media and many others simply have no compassion for the families and victims of 9-11. Let them remember their loved ones for their lives, not for that terrible day.

"Never forget"... the mantra of the dumb...

Oh sure, like people are going to forget 9-11. Those images are firmly engrained into our memories. This media frenzy is sickening, and you should be ashamed of yourself Sloww.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant
                              I think this is fine, we need to be reminded why our soldiers are doing what they are doing now
                              You mean getting Bush reelected by invading Iraq to find WMD? Lining the pockets of VP Cheney's former company, Haliburton? Protecting Middle East oil business interests of Republican campaign contributors? Or did you mean inflating the budget deficit with an ill-conceived post-war rebuilding plan for Iraq as American blood is shed on a daily basis while no diplomatic progress is made to involve other nations in the rebuild/police efforts??

Comment

Working...
                              X