No announcement yet.

Most Useless Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use scroll lock very rarely but I do use it.
    What does it do?
    The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Not the most useless but definitely the most obnoxious on my keyboard is the "Power" ket, located just above PrintScreen, that instantly turns off my computer. It's so annoying that there is half a minitape box taped over the key so that it is impossible to accidentally hit it.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Keys that affect my power supply necessitate a new keyboard. Period. I won't even tolerate such vile things near my clumsy fingers.

Comment

CAPS LOCK (5) 8.77%

Hmm....
          -30-

Comment

Originally posted by st_swithin
            CAPS LOCK (5) 8.77%

Hmm....
            Yeah, pretty shocking the number is that low...
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Print Screen|SysRq - useful with Linux's Magic SysRq feature. I don't actually use it currently but... well, it's still useful.
              Scroll Lock - as Ted Striker said, useful for flow control in Unix-like OSen
              Page Up
              Page Down - these two are useful for scrolling in terminals (with the help of scroll lock)
              CAPS LOCK - I think I'll assign this to some bucky key one day... I'm not sure where it will be useful, though... ah, EMACS, of course .
              Windows Key (Left)
              Windows Key (Right) - I use the Windows keys, logically, as window manager hotkeys
              Context Menu Key - need to figure out a use for this, too
              banAny - if "The Any Key" had been a choice, I would have voted for it...
              `|~ - almost forgot these. They're all useful in bash. The backtick for executing programs and using their output as arguments... I usually use $() for the same effect nowadays, though. The pipe pipes one command's output to another's input, and the tilde stands for /home/.
              Last edited by Ari Rahikkala; August 28, 2003, 09:04.
              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Insert is actually malicious. It's really easy to hit it when hitting delete (and sometimes backspace), and then you screw up what you were typing.

I actually removed that key from my keyboard for that very reason.

Hasn't been a problem since.
                Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

That 'printer' key on the bottom right of my particular keyboard. I've never used it, not once.

Comment

I have a number of weird keys on my keyboard actually, not just a power button. Such as the Fn key. Can't figure out what it does.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Where's the ANY key? I can't find the ANY key!!! There's Esc, and Ctrl...where's the ANY key?!?
                      -30-

Comment

Working...
                      X