Most Useless Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IhatethespacebarsoI'vetakenitoutofmykeyboard

What's the use of the scroll lock and pause/break keys anyway? I've never found a way to actually use them... And I really hate when people press the num lock key, and I have to use the computer 2 min later How can someone actually live without those number keys at the right?
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

How can someone actually live without those number keys at the right?
      Some people use them instead of the arrow keys because they're better (having diagonals and all).

I use scroll lock very rarely but I do use it. After thinking about this some more, I'm having trouble thinking of one instance where I have ever used the pause/break key. I couldn't even tell you what it does. Can anyone give me a specific time when they have used this key and what it did?
      "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Originally posted by BustaMike
        Some people use them instead of the arrow keys because they're better (having diagonals and all).
        I know a person who ALWAYS clicks the Num lock button, though I have never seen him actually use the numbers as arrow keys instead, so it makes no difference to him... When I ask him why he does that, he just answers, he hates those number buttons... but what's the difference when he doesn't use the arrows anyway

Comment

With numlock off, there is no light on the keyboard.
          I used to do that, back in the dos days when joysticks were the main form of input.

Of course, nowadays I just buy keyboards that don't have a numlock light.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

It's your fault
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Crap, I thought this was going to be a musical thread. My least favorite key (musically) is B flatulent.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Skanky: the function keys are VITAL! So many games I know use them.

Comment

the Any key. i can't find it.
                  B♭3

Comment

How come no-one's considered ¬?

What a useless key! That's the first time I've ever used it, and I can't forsee a situation where I'll need to use it again.
                    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

I use all of them at one time or another, though I express my greatest frustration with the damn insert key.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                        Scroll Lock is useless - I don't even know what it could be used for.
                        Sorry Skanky, I disagree. Scroll lock does at least light up an LED on on the keyboard, which is more than Pause/Break does. It makes rolling a joing slightly easier when the light bulb has blown late at night.

Oldies like me tend to Ctrl-Z rather than Break anyway. 99% of the time it has no effect but their are a few retar... er, "old fashioned" programmers still coding.
                        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

W (according to the old *hitehouse administration)
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Pause/Break works in EU2. That's the only use I know for it though.
                            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                              Oldies like me tend to Ctrl-Z rather than Break anyway. 99% of the time it has no effect but their are a few retar... er, "old fashioned" programmers still coding.
                              What had ctrl-Z to do with Break? I use ctrl-Z all the time, but I have yet to find the break key do anything at all... and certainly not what ctrl-Z should do...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hanson
                                How come no-one's considered ¬?
                                It's not part of the standard North American keyboard.
                                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X