No announcement yet.

Like father, like son - Bush support starts to unravel over Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, you can only vote once, right?
    I live in Chicago...
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The one things this tells us is that Bush's reelection is not a sure thing as many predicted.

No, Iraq is not a Vietnam: but this admin. has not told, and continues to avoid to tell the truth of the costs of our commitment there. In general, this admin. has a much worse truth problem than Clinton's admin., speically over what it lies about.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

US public opinion is increadibley fickle, all he needs to do is start a war with Iran a month or so before the election and he's fine.
        eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Bush senior's support didn't unravel over Iraq it unraveled over the economy. If Jr.'s support unravels then it will be over the economy as well.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
            US public opinion is increadibley fickle, all he needs to do is start a war with Iran a month or so before the election and he's fine.
            Wasn't that precisely the point of Bush bragging about Iraq one month or so before midterm elections ?
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

"Meanwhile, 69 per cent are now convinced the United States will become bogged down in Iraq, without achieving ostensible goals in getting the country back on its feet."

An amazing onslaught of realism.
              “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
                Given that many Americans felt sending a contingent of Marines to Liberia was spreading ourselves thin, invading a country 3 times the size of Iraq would not be viewed as a intelligent thing to do given the current Iraq situation.

Comment

"Meanwhile, 69 per cent are now convinced the United States will become bogged down in Iraq, without achieving ostensible goals in getting the country back on its feet."

An amazing onslaught of realism.
                  Iraq is more like Vietnam than people will admit. Vietnam was lost in part because the military didn't have the resources to win. Vietnam could have been won with a large groud invasion and occupation... Iraq is the same. The US does not have enough ground forces to accomplish it's goals. It's a catch-22 of sorts. More troops are needed, but the more troops you put in, the more the people will resist the occupation.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I still think Iraq will be more like Lebanon.
                    “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

I still think Iraq will be more like Lebanon.
                      how so?
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Actually the senior Bush's support dwindled because of poor economic management, as well as tax raises and a poor re-election campaign "Bozo's and all".
                        Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          how so?
                          Terror attacks forcing withdrawal. US Marines in Beirut 1983, Israel in South Lebanon 2001. Ethnic and political disintegration.

Comment

there's a three-way civil war in iraq these days roland? must of missed that one...
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

The economy is starting to show some strong signs of rebounding. Economic leaders are up. Jobless claims down. Taxes are lower and we still have over a year to make it look like Iraq is getting under control. The Dems have not provided any acceptable alternative. At this point a Bush 2nd term looks likely. It is, of course, still way to early to tell.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Sava:

We won "the war" in Iraq. That in itself makes the Vietnam scenerio moot. The fact is that Iraq, if it resembles anything at all, is like the Phillipinnes after the Spanish American War..

The problem in Iraq is an admin. unwilling to own up to the true size of the commitment they need to end up with a sucess in Iraq. The US has the resources to "win" in Iraq but we are politically unwilling to bear them alone, yet this amdin. is unwilling to accept the sort of international support needed to make up for this lack of enthusiasm at home.

Hesrh:

As of now, the level of terrorist activity is too low to lead to a pull-out. And unlike in Lebanon, the whole country in under the invaders control.

Comment

Working...
                                X