X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like father, like son - Bush support starts to unravel over Iraq

Bush losing support for re-election
    August 24, 2003

A growing number of Americans don't want to see US President George W Bush re-elected, and fear US troops are being drawn into a long, costly occupation of Iraq, according to a Newsweek poll.

For the first time the poll has found that more registered voters - 49 per cent - would not want Bush to return for a second term in office if the elections were now, than those - 44 per cent - who would.

Only 23 per cent said terrorism and homeland security would be the most important issues for them in the October 2004 election, compared with 48 per cent who said deciding factors for them would be the economy and jobs.

Meanwhile, 69 per cent are now convinced the United States will become bogged down in Iraq, without achieving ostensible goals in getting the country back on its feet.

Some 40 per cent of them are now "very concerned" US troops will be there for the long haul.

A majority also fears that US forces will be overextended in the event of a security threat elsewhere, according to the poll in the latest edition of Newsweek - 29 per cent very concerned and 30 per cent somewhat concerned.

Americans also think that reconstruction costs in Iraq are too high at $US1 billion ($A1.53 billion) per week - 66 per cent said they do not support such spending, compared with 34 per cent who said they support current spending levels.

And 53 per cent said they would oppose an increase to the figure being spent, with only seven per cent not opposed to an increase.

Almost half of people polled - 47 per cent - said they were very concerned that maintaining troops in Iraq is too expensive and will cause a higher budget deficit, seriously damaging the US economy.

The survey was taken between August 21 and 22 on some 1,011 adults aged 18 and above. The poll has a plus or minus three per cent error margin.
    Of course some of us predicted this before the war even started

But did the right wing warmongers listen to us? Nah

And doesn't Clinton start to look better and better and smarter and smarter? Its the economy stupid!

You people should really listen to old horsie.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

HILLARY!!
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

We'll see. We'll see.

Comment

I don't want Hillary...

Howard Dean is the only Democrat I like. He's the candidate that is the least bit of a "politician".
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yeah, no Hilary.

But I looked over some of the info about Dean and he seems like a fairly decent choice. But it's really too far away to tell right now. I will try to keep up on things though; i'll be voting in this one.

Comment

This is so expectable it's not even funny
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I'm still going to vote for whoever is opposing Bush...
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You know...some people can learn on their own, and predict things ahead of time...other people just have to pee on the electric fence and see for themself, I guess.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

You know what's really ironic? Bush and company were constantly taking extra care because they didn't want these wars to become another Vietnam... but they have. The US doesn't know how to fight a guerilla war. And that's why we can't win in Iraq or Afghanistan. We're not making the same mistakes as in Vietnam or the same ones the Russians made in Afghanistan... we're making all new ones.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think we are quite far of the 50,000 American casualties, and 2,000,000 Iraqi / Afghan casualties for now. I'd wait a bit before screaming "VIETNAM!!!" yet.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

I think we are quite far of the 50,000 American casualties, and 2,000,000 Iraqi / Afghan casualties for now. I'd wait a bit before screaming "VIETNAM!!!" yet.
                      I was referring to the lack of success, not the bodycount.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't want Hillary...
                        But shes HOT!!!
                        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          I'm still going to vote for whoever is opposing Bush...
                          You know, you can only vote once, right?

There are some Democrats I would likely vote for over Bush, and there are some I won't vote over Bush. Overall, though, all the choices are pretty poor, IMO. Maybe if Clark enters the race, it might get interesting, but I don't know yet if I'd vote for him.
                          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

If the casualty count ever hits 50,000, Bush's ass is going to be lynched.
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
                              You know, you can only vote once, right?
                              You mean, because Bush will ban elections once he's reelected ?

Comment

Working...
                              X