Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How easily can cultural tidbit attain 'immortality'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

notyoueither:

nah i doubt it now... though he's shown amazing resilency since his death, a mere 5 years of music recording from 91 to 96 is hardly enough to base fame in future centuries on... had he more time on this earth, things might have turned out different...
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

They are certainly not anonymous. Many of their words remain. They are not up to the cut however. That is why Will's plays are still produced, and theirs are not.

There is so much recorded, back to Cicero and beyond him. Being recorded is no assurance of immortality as an icon. Being especially good is.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

bards - Scottish for those feathered things what flaye en the aier.
        -30-

Comment

notyoueither:

which goes back to my point if Imran is still around and not understanding... there was nothing about Shakespeare in his time that made people know that he would be famous in the future... if anything, many of the critics doubted his future fame... and yet, for whatever reason he is now seen as the greatest playwrite ever.

similiarily, for all we know, Kevin Costner will be seen as the greatest actor/director of the 20th century to the people of 2350.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

swithin:

don't you mean barbs?

Comment

?
              -30-

Comment

oh nevermind... you meant birds but with a scottish accent... when you said feathered things that fly in the air i thought you meant arrows ie- barbs (which looks and sounds like bards)

Comment

Ah, I see. That would be:

faythad arras.
                  -30-

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                    notyoueither:

which goes back to my point if Imran is still around and not understanding... there was nothing about Shakespeare in his time that made people know that he would be famous in the future... if anything, many of the critics doubted his future fame... and yet, for whatever reason he is now seen as the greatest playwrite ever.

similiarily, for all we know, Kevin Costner will be seen as the greatest actor/director of the 20th century to the people of 2350.
                    Agreed for the most part, however this proves that critics really don't know their butts from a plate of beans.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                      if anything, many of the critics doubted his future fame...
                      Cite?
                      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if jazz has the staying power of classical music.
                        Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
                          I wouldn't be surprised if jazz has the staying power of classical music.
                          I almost said that, but it seems a tricky choice for this thread. Why? because the essence of jazz is sponteneity and improvisation, which militates against any particular jazz work being enshrined/ossified for all time. 200 years from now, people will be playing jazz, absolutely. But they may not be reverently recording and re-recording, say "Blue Train," the way we now record and re-record Beethoven's 5th.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

What a pointless stupid threadjack.

"All your base are belong to us"
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

If that is still around in A.D. 2101 I'm gonna puke.
                              Visit First Cultural Industries
                              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

similiarly, shakespeare was popular among englishmen of all walks of life but at the same time many critics and those who thought they had great standards (like some of the people in this thread) believed him stupid and would not be known in the future... they would never have imagined him being the greatest playwrite of all time...

I'll back FP's point and say 'cite'?

Albert, you are famous for making these absurd generalizations with nothing to back them up. Everything I've read about the 'critics' of Shakesphere, believed him to be a very good playwright, and had some minor quibbles (such as the role of women, etc.). You keep saying critics put him down... who and when?

Or is this simply another case of you making a BAM statement and then saying no one is listening to you?

the background music has changed from old disco music to rock to soul samples to jazz, etc. but the actually rapper's art has remained the same

Your biases are showing again. The background music has changed, but rapper's art is the same? Please. The background music has changed from blues to rap as well. The art of singing a song to music has remained the same .
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X