Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How large is an average attendance at a soccer game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reds4ever
    Mens rounders?
    Actually the rules are very different to rounders. Your ignorance is showing.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
      bloody hell, and i thought our football season was packed. that's nearly a game every two days!
      but it's not concentrated effort, swing the bat three times, miss and thats you finished!

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Actually the rules are very different to rounders. Your ignorance is showing.

Comment

..and don't even get me started on Mens Netball!!!

Comment

Womens FOOTBALL is only a big sport in America. In Europe, there might be a lot of women players, but it's not a big sport for audience. Men's football is another issue.

The Washington Freedom (Washington's womens soccer team) seems to average about 10,000 in the stands.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Last seasons football attendance averages for what looks like every league in Europe.
              Muchos gracias. It looks like Real Madrid has the highest average--about 70,000. I guess that's probably average for a midling professional football team in the US. Many fewer home games, of course.

Some of the European average soccer attendances are truly pathetic!
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Womens FOOTBALL is only a big sport in America. In Europe, there might be a lot of women players, but it's not a big sport for audience. Men's football is another issue.

The Washington Freedom (Washington's womens soccer team) seems to average about 10,000 in the stands.
                That's what national women's teams get in Europe, at the best. My wife thinks our 2-year old daughter will be a professional football player and I keep telling her that then she has to move to America. There's no money in womens football in Europe, as the male football is so good here.
                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Dan
                  But Real Madrid will never be Real Barcalona, there are some things you can't put a price on

Comment

that's nearly a game every two days!

Yeah, and most times teams play 3-4 games in a row, have a travel day and then play 3-4 games again in a row... until the end of the season.

Position players don't get too tired from it (they play defense and hit), but pitchers usually can't go every day (some relief pitchers who only pick an inning per game can string together a few games play though).
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That's what national women's teams get in Europe, at the best. My wife thinks our 2-year old daughter will be a professional football player and I keep telling her that then she has to move to America. There's no money in womens football in Europe, as the male football is so good here
                      Well, to be fair, there are only 8 women's pro soccer teams and 8 men's pro soccer teams.

In college football there are 120 Division I-A teams, in pro ~30. In pro baseball there are ~30 teams, with ~120 farm pro teams plus numerous semi-pro teams.

Comment

There's a young (male) player from the Washington area that immigrated from Ghana, who might make mens soccer more popular here. But it will probably continue to be like cycling. Limited appeal, even if your guy dominates the Tour de France.

Comment

Freddie Adu?

I think that within 50 years, soccer will reach the level of hockey, at the least. Sten, OTOH, thinks it'll be 20 years before it dominates. He's a bit too optimistic .

But it'll definetly catch on, especially with the changing demographic of America. The Latino immigrants will help the sport rise (MLS should have a soccer team in Texas, IMO).
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

freddie adu is a good little player, he'll be off to spain, italy or maybe here when he's a bit older most likely.

i know a little about the american league, it's very, very different to leagues anywhere else. the transfers are wierd (drafts and all that) and there's no promotions/relegation!
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Yeah, it's a more American league.

About no promotions/relegation, there aren't enough teams for that right now. It might bankrupt the league if they were to form that many teams and try to have them all make money.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                                there's no promotions/relegation!
                                Yes that sucks, but it's not really possible when you only have 8 teams. There are a few european countries (really crappy ones) that don't have enough pro teams to support more than one league.
                                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Working...
                                X