No announcement yet.

Gov't Report Indicts Saudi Royal Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sort of paper is New Republic? Left, Right, or Center?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      What sort of paper is New Republic? Left, Right, or Center?
      It was a venerable liberal journal for years, but its been center-right for the last 15 years or so.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Just a small point, but paying tribute to keep hostiles at bay is as old as the hills. What did you expect of Saudi Arabia.

They can do this because the alternative to not paying is worse. What we have to do is make it clear that continuing to pay is suicide for them.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Nonsense. As someone (GePap, I think) has already pointed out, moving the bases was actually a favor to the Saudis: it removed one of the rallying points for their opposition.
          A favor PR - wise, not actual protection - wise.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

It was a venerable liberal journal for years, but its been center-right for the last 15 years or so.

That's center-right to you?!

On the site:

Main story today: how the former Treasury Secretary sucked and the new one will do worse. On the right hand side: A TNR Primary of Democratic Candidates.

I've been a reader of the website for a while, and very few can be called center-right.

I'd refer to them as center-left, Clintonian actually... with a few center-rights thrown in.
            Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; August 4, 2003, 18:26.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

On the site:

Main story today: how the former Treasury Secretary sucked and the new one will do worse. On the right hand side: A TNR Primary of Democratic Candidates.
              He said center right - not a partisan Republican publication. The old treasury secretary (O'Neil) sucked. Snow, the current one, also sucks. This suckage is not a partisan characterization - it is objective fact. What, should a conservative publication just toe the Republican line even if the Republicans are not acting in a conservative fashion? (BTW, TNR loves Lieberman - the center right incarnation priot to his vice presidential bid. Now that is center right.)

This point might be what is troubling you. Bush is right-right, not center right.

Occasionally, TNR remembers it liberal roots - but rarely, especially since 9/11.
              - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
              - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
              - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                I'm just glad to see a Finn who is so willing to sacrifice American lives for a cause.
                He's willing to risk his own life for the U.S., which puts him way ahead of a large number of American posters here who consider themselves "too important to the country" to be risked in battle.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Stuff has been leaking.

As others have stated, stuff doesn't leak too much from this administration unless it was planned to be leaked. I wonder what they're planning against SA... hmmm...
                  This was a congressional report, and congress leaks like a sieve whenever there is a difference of opinion.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

On the site:

I've been a reader of the website for a while, and very few can be called center-right.

I'd refer to them as center-left, Clintonian actually... a few center-rights thrown in.
                    Covering the Democrats doen't mean they're not center-right. TNR is independent, but might as well be the house organ for the Democratic Leadership Council, which I also consider to be center-right. In fact, the shift in their editorial tone happened right around the time the DLC was founded, when Marty Peretz was editor; he was followed by Andrew Sullivan (also neo-con), and then by some bastard under whom TNR became so nakedly racists that I ended up cancelling my subscription. Maybe they've shifted back a little since then. But "Clintonian" isn't a bad description, as long as were referring to Clinton's policies, which were significantly to the right of his rhetoric. Clinton was the first chair of the DLC, after all.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                    X