Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people do you know IRL, who likes TBS games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not counting me, zero.
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

IRL: 4
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
        I go to a tech school where there's 3 guys for every girl. I think I can safely claim to know many people who play TBS games.
        At my school it's more like 15 guys for each girl... and still no-one plays TBS
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

15 guys for each girl?

happy times.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
            15 guys for each girl?

happy times.
            Last year it was more girls. Last year in our class we had 5 girls in our class, though most of them failed/cancelled so now there's only one... but all of those who didn't get to this year, are all older than me anyway, so nothing interesting

Comment

Originally posted by ADG

Last year it was more girls. Last year in our class we had 5 girls in our class, though most of them failed/cancelled so now there's only one... but all of those who didn't get to this year, are all older than me anyway, so nothing interesting
              Ah, so that's how you get 15 to 1 See we have 10,000+ people, and the ratio is 3 to 1. (As a computer science major though, I have those 150 person classes that contain like 5 girls.)
              "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
              -Joan Robinson

Comment

Let's see..

About 6. I say about because a couple of them are kinda on the bubble.

But I only know two who are any good. You need to devote some time to understand the game in order to get good. Many people don't have the time, and so they tend to fumble about on chieftain.

Paraphrase of a real conversation about CivIII with a guy I know from work:

Him: They always beat me, what do I do?
                Me: ok, first things first, what level do you play on, what civ(s) do you choose, what map settings?
                Him: I dunno, the lowest or 2nd to lowest level, normal, *lists a couple of civs*
                Me: ok, terrain improvement first. You know to mine grassland, right?
                Him: what, mine grassland?
                Me: um, yeah, irrigating grassland does nothing for you until you get out of despotism, into a better government. Oh, and later, if you can, irrigated the bonus grass and mine the regular ones. Just trust me, it works better for your golden age.
                Him: Golden Age?
                Me: Dude, do you even know how the game works? Ok, now, you've gotta build some military or they'll attack you.
                Him: I do build military.
                Me: not enough, apparently. Do you use upgrades?
                Him: upgrades?

And on and on. He literally doesn't know the rules, and can't be arsed to learn them, but wants to win. Boggles the mind.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by ADG

I have a feeling that this will inadvertedly will become the first all-gay school, outpacing New York.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

2 people.

my daughters former grade school teacher, who first suggested I try Civ and a co-worker who plays SMAC.

Probaly others, cause i found out about these essentially by accident.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                      I have a feeling that this will inadvertedly will become the first all-gay school, outpacing New York.
                      In this place of the Earth, there's almost no girls, who knows anything about computers, and the few who's left, only knows the basics of it (You know! Things like pressing a shortcut to start a game)... For now, I have only met about 3-4 girls who actually knows how to find around directories on the computer, but only met one who has the basic understanding of installing/uninstalling games/apps

I wish more girls were interested in computers, that would make classes more interesting

Comment

He literally doesn't know the rules, and can't be arsed to learn them, but wants to win. Boggles the mind.

Unfortunately, this describes a horrifying number of people. They are the reason why game companies think they need to put out one crappy game every year rather than spend 3 years making a good game.
                        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                        XGalaga.

Comment

Working...
                        X