Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people do you know IRL, who likes TBS games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truth is, I know a couple of hard core TBS folks, and maybe 3 or 4 who stick their toe in the water sometimes.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

i know 27. i have civlans with 6 people here @ home, and every wednesday is civday @ uni.

i r lusah!
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I go to a tech school where there's 3 guys for every girl. I think I can safely claim to know many people who play TBS games.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
          I go to a tech school where there's 3 guys for every girl. I think I can safely claim to know many people who play TBS games.
          same here. in my class it's 3:1, in the junior class is 5:1!
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I had a chief in the navy who liked Civ2 alot.

Also my brother likes them as well- just not as much as rpg's.

Comment

I know about 20 people who like them. I bet some of my gaming friends who I've lost track of over the years like them too, but I haven't seem some of those people since wargaming became viable on the personal computer.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

None . Most of my friends cannot play ANY game , even something like those pathetic action thingies , without cheats . RTS and TBS goes waaaaaaaaaaay above their heads . The format of their typical AOE 2 game is this .

Hey, look at the little people . I'll (do something totally irrelevant , or futile , or simply stupid ) with them .

(AI sends its first rush)

What ? Who's killing my nive little village ?

(Cheats)

Take that , and that .

(Jumping up in jubiliation over victory )

Yeah , I won , I won !

It's thse same people who are extremely frustrated that there is no cheat mode in Civ3 .
                (Them: Can't you stop that enemy from crushing me , somehow ?
                Me: What difficulty are you palying on ?
                Them: Chief something , you know . . . .
                Me: (Launch into overview of the basics of the game)
                Them: That's all fine , but how can I stop them taking my villages ?
                All this , after an extensive overview of defensive strategy . I tell them so .
                Them: Aw, this game sucks . I'll go play xyz .

Thank god I've trained my younger brother tho be a real player of AOE 2 . All his friends don't even know the names of the buildings .

I , and my friends , are approx 15 yrs of age . That says a LOT about the way people percieve games here in India .

There are a few notable exceptions , though .

Comment

my sister showed an interest in the original Age of Empires (she was 12 at the time) and tried her hand one time playing a random map. she built a few clubmen and sent them exploring but was attacked by an army of chariots and cavalry and then never played a strategy game again.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It helps weed out the "OMGWTF OMG TIS DUD ATAKED ME I HAD 3 WARRORS BT HE HAD LIK 600BILLION IMMORTAL" people.
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

3 of my siblings play strategy games and rpgs to varying degrees

actually, my younger brother no longer plays, but that is just because he is too into doing outdoors stuff and finds that playing lufia or civ2 is not as good a use of his time

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I admit, my older brother and younger sister just like killing games (they usually play on cheiftan)

my older brother can beat games at tougher difficulties (of the two of us, he beat the original civ on emperor first), but enjoys playing on the lower levels

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

my problem with Civ 2 and CtP 2 is that you can never seem to have peace. i guess the designers wanted to make it more fun or something by having there be a lot of wars and having the AI never want to have peace with you but frankly, wars in those games are annoying as ****. battles are very abstract and are a hassle... nothing fun about them... i would have much more fun colonizing the world and researching all the technologies but i can never seem to get past 1000 AD before getting frustrated with the constant wars

another thing is that those games operate on the opposite of what history shows us advances civilization. playing on the world map, european and middle eastern civs never advance because they have so much contact with other groups and end up devoting all their resources to building armies and are further harmed by having half their cities razed. the Zulu on the other hand, got all of Africa to theyselves and never have to compete for resources on an entire continent.

thanks
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I thnk the Freeciv people are in the process of implementing tech leakage, which means that if neighboring civ has a tech it requires less research for you to get it. I'm not sure though. Even without tech leakage Freeciv is better than civ2, partly because of the pathfinding algorithm.
                              American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                              I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                              Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                              XGalaga.

Comment

Over 15 people, including my brother. I know a lot of people who play games but most of them play the popular FPS and RTS games.
                                Quendelie axan!

Comment

Working...
                                X