Tony Martin and stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd degree murder.

Was the kid armed? No. He was running away, which is the point of coming downstairs with a gun (getting the burglar to stop burgling). The guy shot him in the back. The man's a murderer and should go to jail.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

He's been to jail Boris. He gets released tomorrow.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Three days after the heroin junkie who robbed him gets released after serving five months of an eighteen month sentence. I don't like this Tony Martin guy, but the prison service is really determined to be crap to him.

Comment

Eighteen months should mean eighteen months.

What the **** is the point of a setence if they are always halved, thirded, etc..
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I didn't even know it was possible for a sentence to be cut to even less than a third before I read this... but the geezer who decided he'd served his time is being made to explain his decision. He should get a lawyer to do it.

Comment

And people wonder why crime is going up.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

What the **** is the point of a setence if they are always halved, thirded, etc..

You don't think judges know that a sentance is going to be halved or thirded? Of course they do! And they adjust for that.

They may sentance someone to 18 months, but they KNOW he'll be out in 5 for good behavior.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sentence for 5 then, and increase to 18 for bad behaviour. The sentence should be a minimum.

Then people can see the true punishment.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                    Sentence for 5 then, and increase to 18 for bad behaviour. The sentence should be a minimum.

Then people can see the true punishment.
                    The judge has a prerogative to set a minimum sentence.

Pity Martin wasn't black or Asian- we wouldn't hear a peep out of you. Can't recall you getting this worked up about people from ethnic minorities wrongly convicted and languishing in jail.

Still, they probably deserve it for having the temerity to live in the Land of the Great White Bigot.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                      Normal good working people not being able to afford healthcare isn't right.
                      If government waste and over regulation didn't run up the cost of health care then we wouldn't need a government owned health system. In the US 85%-90% have some sort of health coverage and the last 10%-15% are the people who either don't bother to work towards getting a job with coverage or else they don't bother to work because they're to busy drinking or doing drugs.

That doesn't sound like the "decent people" you were tal;king about. I'm sure the numbers would be similiar in the UK if the NHS wasn't around.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Here the people who use the health service most are pensioners, who are also amongst the poorest people around. How would they pay? They couldn't, so either we let all our grandparents die or we still have to pay for them, no benefit.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                          Eighteen months should mean eighteen months.

5 years should mean 5 years.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

The point about the sentences is that the thieving scumbag who didn't get shot played the system, said he was sorry for dealing heroin in a convincing (to the parole board) way and got let out early. Tony Martin had to serve the full sentence the court gave him because he would not say he was sorry or that he was wrong to shoot the burglar.

Prison governors used to be able to add time to sentences for misbehaviour in prison but a recent court ruling (stupid human rights legislation again!) put a stop to that.

What seems to lie behind this is the application of the European convention on Human Rights to UK law. This annoys me for two reasons.

First, a convention intended to stop another european country going down the route the Nazis took Germany in the 1930's and meant to stop state abuse of power is now used to prevent ordinary citizens from protecting themselves (I don't agree entirely with what Tony Martin did but it is moving towards requiring a burglar to sign a written statement that you warned them before you kick the sh1t out of them).

Second, this human rights stuff forgets the responsibilities side of the equation and protecting the victims of crime. It seems to be applied so that the person who appears in court gets their rights asserted at the expense of the person they stole from or assaulted. (One of the rights in the European charter is about peaceful enjoyment of property IIRC)
                            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV Tony Martin had to serve the full sentence the court gave him because he would not say he was sorry or that he was wrong to shoot the burglar.
                              No he didn't, he got 5 years and is out after 3, he would have got out earlier if he'd expressed some remorse though.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

I stand corrected. It is still true that the sooner you say sorry and promise not to be a naughty boy again, the sooner you get out though.
                                Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                                X