Tony Martin and stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Martin and stuff

OK, so I dont really care about the case, but guy walks into mans house, man shoots intruder dead, gets done for murder/manslaughter.

IMO if I rob someones house, I should expect what is coming to me, whether that is a 12 gauge shell or not is another matter.

I think Martin went over the top, but if he was being attacked, or threat of attack, not just being burgled, then he should have had every right to kill in defence of his home. Perhaps in that case, he should have given him a bit of a kicking.

If we regard private property as a valid concept, then we must also afford ourselves the same right to defend it as with our own bodies, and our perogative to decide on the use of force according to its value to us. Of course, one cannot go mental with no justification, which is when the law steps in.

IMO justice is a completely different matter (the above only deals with defence), in this latter case, objectivity and non-punitive measures are preferable imo. No, really I'm not scitzophrenic!
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Most of the Americans will probably say, of course he should shoot him. The law and attitude is totally different there though.

If he was really defending himself then that would be OK but I say chasing after unarmed 16 year old kid until you can corner them and shoot them in the back is wrong wherever they are.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

True, thats why I said it was over the top. The kid should have been incapacitated and then arrested. If Martin was being attacked, then he had more reason to fire.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

I think what has to be the law in such case is that he should say "stop or I'll shoot" and then shoot, if the burglar doesn't surrender. Here, you have to be threatened with deadly force to be allowed to shoot the burglar. Personally, I am not sure what's the right way with a large degree of certainty.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

???

Comment

He's amazed that he agrees with you.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

This thread appeared about six hours after I changed my sig.
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Oh god!! One moment I'm a libertarian, the next, I'll be an ultraconservative!!

Comment

did the man die on the matin's property? i heard something about how in some US states, if the criminal makes it to the door, you can get tried for murder.
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

"If any person attempts to break open a house in the night-time, and shall be killed in such attempt, the slayer shall be acquitted and discharged."

That would be a real drag if you were a fireman kicking down the door. Or if it was your own house you were breaking into.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

did the man die on the matin's property?
                        Not entirely sure, but I assume that when being shot in the back by a shotgun, you dont live for very long.

Comment

I think he was as justified in killing him as he would have been if he had seen the burglar in town one day and shot him.

Comment

Martin didnt kill to protect himself, he killed to punish someone for breaking into his house. Private citizens are not allowed and should not be allowed to deal out their own punishment for crimes committed against them.

Comment

This Martin fellow deserves to be put in for murder, if all the posts here are correct. If the burgler sees you with a gun and is running away, you shouldn't be able to shoot him. You are in no physical danger at all.

Now, if he's running away with something he stole from you, I'm not sure what I'd say in that case. I guess he should be able to shoot to incapacitate him (like in the leg or something), but not to kill.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X