No announcement yet.

Why is pork so cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So wait... someone on this site is arguing that we should cut grass and ship it over to a 'cow factory' and have the cows walk on treadmills... and that would save money?

I love this site
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

stay away from pork

it is a crap meat.

the pigs eat crap anyway

my meat mostly consists of chicken and fish and then once a week beef
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

If crap is all they have to eat, crap is what the will eat.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Pork, being the other white meat, has its price intentionally kept low to undercut any other competition from other colored meats. It's just another case of the man keeping the meat industry down.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
              Yeah, but buying coffee from McDonald's is sorta like buying clothes at Walmart. Some people do it, but not me.

Starbucks tastes better, and have many different flavors and varieties
              starbucks coffee sucks

I wouldn't even call what McDonalds has coffee

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

very bourgeious of you, jon
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The only real coffee is double expresso
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

If pork is so much chepaer, why do major users, like Fast Food concerns and pet food makers never really buy it? Can you think of any pork based producst in any of the major Fast Fod chains?
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

GePap:

you're absolutely right! only breakfast menus at fast food chains got pork products...

this makes no sense... why is pork cheaper at the supermarket but no fast food places utilize it?
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The only common pork prodcust in fast food chains I can think of are bacon and breakfast sausages: (or peperroni and sausage in Pizza Hut and Domonos) now bacon comes from pork bellies (we have tens of tons of pork bellies stored in warehouses accross the nation), and you don;t use prime cuts of pork for sausage.

I think it is old healh concerns which are not really valid anyome, plus that modern American pork is dry as the desert, since they have made it so damned lean. It might be a pain in the butt to use.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

McDonalds around here has a pork tenderloin sandwich, or something related. I would never eat that, nor anything else they serve.

And the burgers have lots of soy in them, IIRC, which cuts down the costs. And chicken is cheaper than pork, probably. I don't know really, much of anything.

Comment

Briefly,

Pigs are more closely related in size than Cows. This makes processing at the slaughterhouse cheaper. Cows in slaughterhouses are mostly 'processed' by hand.

Pigs require less food + of lesser quality. Cows require grain or grass, debasing their food is becoming illegal.

Cows are also less efficent at processing material into muscle, making them more expensive to run.

In the U.S. we don't feed our cows cow parts like some other countries I will not name
                            Er... actually the US stopped feeding cattle to cattle after the UK did. The US is still allowed to feed pork and poultry remains to Cattle. The US still hasn't banned turning ex-animal shelter animals into dog/cat food.

Nowhere in the EU is feeding cattle to cattle, or in fact any livestock material, legal.
                            Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

All Mcdonalds = crap
                              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Less demand for pork because of sily archaic religious taboos.
                                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                                X