No announcement yet.

Why is pork so cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not when you consider the number of homeowners likely to be willing to lie about it.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

And there are no ways of testing are there.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Gee, testing every single households' grass won't cause the cost of said grass to increase exponentially. No way!
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

why don't you put your idea to some farmers down here bods, i'm sure they'd be very interested...
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Will never catch on because of the political lobby bastards thinking a cow's luxury is more important than the poor being able to enjoy a good steak.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

lo sarcasm :/
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It didn't go over everyone's heads.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                    No - the value of the land to society is higher than its developed value, but the private market would likely not take this into account. That's why it's not built on.

Don't think just in money terms.
                    Given that it was a response to your own point about the cost of land, you've just U-turned up your own arse.

Again, I don't see how this is relevant. The large cow shed would be built wherever land was cheapest - not necessarily where farms exist now.
                    Lovely. So not on the flat, development-friendly areas used by arable farming, but on the hilly ground and flood plains used for pastoral farming? Think about it...

It would most likely reduce the likelihood of booms and busts in the market as supply of houses would respond more effectively to the price level. So what?
                    It would create a massive expanse of land available for development at low cost. Result (Mr Economist) is a crash in property values. This leads us to.....

Nice to see you admitting my plan has some merit by going off at a complete tangent.
                    ...your inability to spot that in the present environment of lending at record levels of income multiples, the result is massive negative equity on an unprecedented scale.

This means bad news for all investing in property, bad news for anything needing mobility of labour, and a knock-on slump to the UK economy which has been buoyed up by rising property values.

How many garderners just chuck out their grass? Create a market for it in the plan I have outlined previously, and efficiency will rise.

The land that the cows were previously on would be freed up for something far more useful.
                    So all you have to arrange is collection of loads of grass cuttings from disparate locations before it dries out to hay (which has a lower nutritional value) or rots? That's going to cost a lot.

Good plan. Alternatively you could just put cows in a field.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Given that it was a response to your own point about the cost of land
                      I'm just wondering where the ramblings about greenbelt land came from and how it is relevant? Been reading something?

Lovely. So not on the flat, development-friendly areas used by arable farming, but on the hilly ground and flood plains used for pastoral farming? Think about it...
                      Why have you got it in your mind that the cow hut needs to be built in an existing farming area? Just build it anywhere land is cheapest - not greenbelt land. Understand? Good.

It would create a massive expanse of land available for development at low cost. Result (Mr Economist) is a crash in property values. This leads us to.....that in the present environment of lending at record levels of income multiples, the result is massive negative equity on an unprecedented scale.

This means bad news for all investing in property, bad news for anything needing mobility of labour, and a knock-on slump to the UK economy which has been buoyed up by rising property values.
                      There are a number of things wrong with this.

a)

1) I don't remember bringing up greenbelt restrictions or the loosening of them. Why attribute this claim to me? Just to knock down and then appear like you have some kind of point scored over me? Daft sod.

2) The ratio of lending to mortgage income is one way of analysing the stability of house prices. However, due to lower interest rates the cost of servicing that debt is much lower, so the ratio isn't ideal as more debt can be taken on at the same level of income. How about looking at other measures - one example would be the ratio of house prices to accumulat-able discounted future rents.

b)

1) Massive increasing land available would not happen in a bang, it would happen slowly as a result of the possibility what you stated.

2) Agents aren't irrational. What you claimed ignores the fact that property developers are knowledgeable about time lags and have learnt not to base the next period's supply on this period's price.

3) Consider that mobility may actually be helped through lower house prices.

So all you have to arrange is collection of loads of grass cuttings from disparate locations before it dries out to hay (which has a lower nutritional value) or rots? That's going to cost a lot.
                      Maybe it will. I haven't done the cost analyses yet. What did you find?
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                        I'm just wondering where the ramblings about greenbelt land came from and how it is relevant? Been reading something?
                        It's relevant because that's where the farms are.

Why have you got it in your mind that the cow hut needs to be built in an existing farming area? Just build it anywhere land is cheapest - not greenbelt land. Understand? Good.
                        Because greenbelt land is the cheapest, with the exception of brownfield sites on polluted ground. It's the cheapest because it's greenbelt land, and will remain so unless greenbelt restictions are lifted.

There are a number of things wrong with this.

a)

1) I don't remember bringing up greenbelt restrictions or the loosening of them. Why attribute this claim to me? Just to knock down and then appear like you have some kind of point scored over me? Daft sod.
                        I don't know about your neck of the woods, but there aren't many urban farms around here. Hence the issue of greenbelt land.

2) The ratio of lending to mortgage income is one way of analysing the stability of house prices. However, due to lower interest rates the cost of servicing that debt is much lower, so the ratio isn't ideal as more debt can be taken on at the same level of income. How about looking at other measures - one example would be the ratio of house prices to accumulat-able discounted future rents.
                        How will that pevent negative equity?

1) Massive increasing land available would not happen in a bang, it would happen slowly as a result of the possibility what you stated.

2) Agents aren't irrational. What you claimed ignores the fact that property developers are knowledgeable about time lags and have learnt not to base the next period's supply on this period's price.
                        Why would it happen slowly?

3) Consider that mobility may actually be helped through lower house prices.
                        Is that true for the majority of homeowners who owe money on their property?

What about the fact that those with lowest levels of equity are the young?

Maybe it will. I haven't done the cost analyses yet. What did you find?
                        Can't be arsed to check, because it's harebrained.

Comment

In any case, both pigs and cows are pretty darn inefficient land users, only producing a tenth of the munchies that growing crops would.

Perhaps cows are more active than pigs, making them even less efficient.
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

That's true- modern intensive arable farming is a more efficient industry in terms of calories/hectare. Then again, short of open-cast mining I can't think of anything more destructive to the environment than modern intensive arable farming.

Besides, meat is yummy. C'mere Buttercup- you'd look much nicer in a bap.

Comment

Cows need to be raised on the range, while pork can be raised in a pen its whole life. So you can cram tens of thousands of piggies into a much smaller area and use factory farming techniques to achieve efficiencies of scale. You get a unvariated bland, tasteless pork, but since Amerians have the most degraded palette in the world, we don't care.

There is a "movement" among the the yuppies (or rather there was before the recession) to bring back natural farming methods for pork and "heritage" pork lines. Supposedly the resulting meat is much stronger in flavor, but it is also rather more expensive.

The beef outside the midwest, though, really sux. It's so bland.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Is that why pork is cheaper, Chegitz?
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X