No announcement yet.

Damn taxes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already told you, AS. You can get some sort of an order to produce tax forms if your mother won't cooperate. Talk to the uni's financial assistance office. Matter of fact you should talk to them now, and not after school starts (since financial aid is usually a madhouse in september).
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What are you claiming yourself as on your taxes?

"Federal regulation determines who is "independent" for Federal student aid programs. Independent students report only their student/spouse income on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid); parental information is not necessary. The six criteria that establish a student as independent are: (1) age (24), (2) Veteran status, (3) enrollment in a graduate or professional program, (4) married at the time of signing the FAFSA, (5) an orphan or ward of the court, and/or (6) have legal dependents for whom over half support is provided.

Financial aid officers watch dependent/independent status carefully because it greatly influences the results of the need analysis formula. Students may be asked to submit proof of their status. Some colleges require information from parents even if the Federal application does not before they will award any of their institution's private funds to aid applicants. Usually independent students demonstrate the most need, but not always.

If a student feels they have unusual circumstances and are really independent, even though they don't meet the government's definition, they may appeal to the university's financial aid administrator. This should be done before the FAFSA is filled out and mailed to the Federal processor. A financial aid administrator may use professional judgement to override a student's dependency status in individual cases. Contact the Financial Aid Office for an independent appeal form. The results would only be applicable to that school; if the student transfers to a different school, the new financial aid officer would have to go through the same process to make a decision on treatment of the appeal....Some examples would be for students who have been married then divorced, or who worked full-time living on their own for a significant amount of time before deciding to attend college, or who can prove through supporting documentation that an estranged relationship exists with parents."

Find out what a 'significant' amount of time is and what 'signifcant documentation' is...

why has she refused to supply tax forms?
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I agree with KH, it ain;t like this is the first time it has happened to anyone... I would definitly go talk to someone as they may be able to work something out without getting your mother involved...

It never hurts to ask...
        Monkey!!!

Comment

It's free money. You need it. Don't say no because it's a little bit of trouble.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

actually the situation has changed a bit as my mother is no longer working... my step-father on the other hand manages a pizza store but the problem is... he's not exactly legal when it comes to taxes... i don't think it would be good to shed some light on that.

but actually i was looking over my **** and though some things still need to be 'verified' and some things were 'estimated', assuming these things pull through, i'm actually being given more money than the tuition is. thank god for my GPA
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
            X