Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Ronald Reagon that bad of a president?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Ronald Reagon that bad of a president?

I was reading an article in one of our local independant newspapers. They mentioned how Ronald Reagon was one of this country's worst presidents.

Now as I've said before, and have to keep reminding people, I'm not a right winger. But was Reagon really that bad? I do think he gets too much credit for the fall of the Soviet Union. The Soviets were already going downhill at that point, their fall was inevitable. But he did help modernize the military (although it wasn't until the 90's until the military truelly became modern). The military in the 70's was a complete joke. I've heard stories from guys I worked with in the navy. The military did become a premier volunteer force. But at what cost? He spent so much money.

And domestically he didn't do a whole lot. What did he do?

I'm indifferent to his presidency. He didn't actually do anything as president. But I did like his tough stance on foreign policy. I'm a big believer in not letting other countries push you around. But he really didn't do anything as president. And I have to believe that if he wasn't capable of doing the job- he should have resigned. I do believe he experiences some symptoms of Alzeimer's disease while in office.

On a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the highest) I rate Reagan a 6.
    21.54%
    12.31%
    6.15%
    3.08%
    1.54%
    6.15%
    4.62%
    18.46%
    3.08%
    20.00%
    banana- he was a terrible actor
    3.08%

I'm indifferent to his presidency. He didn't actually do anything as president.

Presidents usually end up doing a lot of things as president because a lot of things happen WHILE they're president. For exampe (google search time ), "William Henry Harrison" didn't do anything that I know of. Doesn't mean that he was a bad president, just means that nothing big happened. For example, would FDR have been remembered as much if not for WW2? Would Teddy Roosevelt be known of if not for the Spanish-American War and the Panama Canal?

Comment

This will be a flame war is 10... 9... 8...
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm also watching the history channels speical on the SDI system.

We sure blew a lot of money on star wars . More research was and still is needed before we proceed to actual tests. The technology still is not there.

Comment

How do you know if the technology isn't there if you don't try... and you are looking at it as mainly a physical object. What about the psychological problems it would post to an enemy who had tons of nukes?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

there is such a thing as theoretical physics .

You can simulate all this stuff on computers-repeatedly. Once they can successfully do it on computers- then I say build the radar stations on remote Alaskan islands and such. But until then...

Comment

10. Anybody who rates poorly has issues. Ronald Reagan was one of the best presidents the United States has ever had. Sure the leftists will dispute that, but that is because they are left with nothing but Jimmy Carter.

Reagan was very capable... in fact he was capable enough to write a book in the last year he was publically speaking, in 1994 I guess.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

the worst in the 20th century... he get's way more credit for the demise of the USSR than he should... he ****ed the economy up bigtime... it took almost 12 years to recover from his massive tax gifts to the rich. He increase the tax base on the poor and middle class... and we're still cleaning up his messes across the Middle East...

After Carter, things went from bad to worse... under Clinton, things got better, but of course, with another Republican, the economy is in the toilet and a whole new generation of terrorists are going to be growing up in Iraq. If Al Qaeda uses a chemical or bio weapon that was funneled through Iraq... the blood is on Reagan's hands.

I'll dance when he dies.

It's too bad I can't rate him a negative.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hahaha... Sava you have got to be kidding me... What a liar you are!
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

What a liar you are!
                    And as usual, you have nothing to debate me with. For someone who doesn't like religion, you sure act like a fundamentalist with blind faith towards this pathetic excuse for a leader.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                      Hahaha... Sava you have got to be kidding me... What a liar you are!
                      So which bits do do disagree with, and why?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                        the worst in the 20th century... he get's way more credit for the demise of the USSR than he should... he ****ed the economy up bigtime... it took almost 12 years to recover from his massive tax gifts to the rich. He increase the tax base on the poor and middle class... and we're still cleaning up his messes across the Middle East...

After Carter, things went from bad to worse... under Clinton, things got better, but of course, with another Republican, the economy is in the toilet and a whole new generation of terrorists are going to be growing up in Iraq. If Al Qaeda uses a chemical or bio weapon that was funneled through Iraq... the blood is on Reagan's hands.

I'll dance when he dies.

It's too bad I can't rate him a negative.
                        A few points...

The economy can't respond "right away"; it has a delayed reaction. The prosperity of the 90's was (at least mostly) due to Reagan and Bush senior.

The economy now is not Bush junior's fault. Enron et al's fraud began during the Clinton administration, and no matter what would have caused a serious recession. And 9-11 didn't help particularly. Unless you want to blame that on Bush to?

Comment

So which bits do do disagree with, and why
                          all... because I'm a liar...
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Opps!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              And as usual, you have nothing to debate me with. For someone who doesn't like religion, you sure act like a fundamentalist with blind faith towards this pathetic excuse for a leader.
                              Sava, I was just poking fun at you... You are entitled to your opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X