Dead By Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead By Friday

By Friday July 25th, I will be dead. Sure as the sun will rise on that day, I won't see it set.

On Friday I am getting all four of my wisdom teeth pulled. This is a pretty normal thing. But, as you all know, getting your teeth pulled is not a tremendously fun activity. In fact, it is horribly painful. Because of this, I will be sedated during the operation. Unconsciousness will be artificially induced in me.

This is, once again, a fairly normal thing. It happens to thousands of people everyday and nothing goes wrong.

Every so often, however, something will go wrong. The chances of this happening are so small as to be negligible, really. But, the chances are not zero. On rare occasions, people simply don't wake up from going under. They cannot be revived. They die.

As I said, this rarely happens. But, as I also said, the chances are not zero. And I am a paranoid individual with far too much time for thinking. Because I think too much, I will begin to fear that this could actually happen to me.

This excess of thinking will do another thing as well. It will cause me to realize that sometimes, a person can start to believe something so much, that it actually becomes true. This can happen with diseases; it's called a psychosomatic effect.

In other words, my fear could cause a psychosomatic effect so that while I am unconscious and having my teeth wrenched, I will make myself believe that I won't wake up, and so I won't.

But it doesn't stop there. Remember, I think too much.

I fear that my fear for the psychosomatic effect may make me fear that I may produce this delusion, and because of that, I will fear it even more.

This cycle of fearing the fear can go on forever, unfortunately. And what this means is that by the time I get to the operation, I will fear death, fear the effect, and fear my own fear so much that my death will, in fact, be inevitable.

And even if it's not inevitable, I will fear so much that it is, that it will become that way.

Vicious circle.

I need you all at Apolyton to save me.

I need you guys to either show a fault in my logic, stop me from thinking too much, get rid of my fear of death, or prove to me conclusively that my fear cannot induce a psychosomatic effect that will kill me.

Otherwise, I'm a goner.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Can I have your stuff? Need my address?
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

When I got my wisdom teeth taken out they gave me some medicine that was supposed to dry out my mouth, but the side-effect that it produced was that it made my crotch itch something fierce. And, of course, a pretty nurse was supervising the process, so all I could do was grip the arm rests of the dentists' chair, and deny that anything was wrong. I only learned after the surgery that my crotch was supposed to be itching. I still haven't forgiven that nurse.

Whatever you do, make sure you get some valium. You won't mind dying after you've had enough valium.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Goddamnit, why does everyone keep saying that! I don't want to die!

Yah... sure... what's your address...
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

CTM3 Bucher, OM Division, USS Bunker Hill (CG-52)

Damn, can't remember the FPO...oh well, how many CTM3 Bucher's on the Bunker Hill (CG-52) are there?
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Hey, before you go, I just wanted to let you know that you're already authorised to make deposits into my bank account or to the IRS.

But the nitrous is fun, though.
            -30-

Comment

Assuming you don't die on the table:

Make damned sure they give you the little syringe (sp?) to clean the empty little tooth holes afterwards. Use warm tablesalt water solution to rinse the holes GENTLY and the same solution to rinse your mouth. Brush your teeth religiously, especially near the wounds, to keep the risk of bacteria as small as possible. Only go for foods that are already soft before they go into you mouth. Bread is kinda iffy, but yogurts and scrambled eggs (in addition to water and milk, NO SODAS - sugar feeds bacteria) are what I lived on for 2-3 weeks after I had all 4 of my wisdoms pulled.

As long as you follow your dentist's instructions, you should be fine. The syringe is an absolute MUST. Use it after everytime you eat to keep those holes clear of food. Anything that gets caught in there can get FOUL after a few days exposure to the digestive enzymes in your saliva.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Fake incredible pain, like cry etc. and then innocently ask for 10mg OxyContins. You can at least get some percs for something like this... but a small OC is equivalent to taking EIGHT at once! More euphoria than even heroin!!!

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                  Assuming you don't die on the table:

Make damned sure they give you the little syringe (sp?) to clean the empty little tooth holes afterwards. Use warm tablesalt water solution to rinse the holes GENTLY and the same solution to rinse your mouth. Brush your teeth religiously, especially near the wounds, to keep the risk of bacteria as small as possible. Only go for foods that are already soft before they go into you mouth. Bread is kinda iffy, but yogurts and scrambled eggs (in addition to water and milk, NO SODAS - sugar feeds bacteria) are what I lived on for 2-3 weeks after I had all 4 of my wisdoms pulled.

As long as you follow your dentist's instructions, you should be fine. The syringe is an absolute MUST. Use it after everytime you eat to keep those holes clear of food. Anything that gets caught in there can get FOUL after a few days exposure to the digestive enzymes in your saliva.
                  My wisdom teeth haven't come in yet. The dentist is pulling them pre-emptively because they're blocking other teeth from coming in, which in turn is preventing my orthodontist from completing his job.

Does the above still apply?

Comment

It isn't the end of the world. I had two removed in one day and the other two removed later... it hurt some... but I recovered within several weeks.
                    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

My wisdom teeth haven't come in yet. The dentist is pulling them pre-emptively because they're blocking other teeth from coming in, which in turn is preventing my orthodontist from completing his job.

Does the above still apply?
                      2 of mine were exposed; 2 were still buried under my gums. I forget all the details, but I believe the 2 that hadn't emerged were growing at an angle and that's why I had them all removed (how that affects the 2 normal wisdoms I do not know). I kept all 4 holes largely immaculate until my gums had sealed them (blocked the syringe from entering and cleaning, so hopefully that means large food particles couldn't enter either).
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I have a couple of extra teeth that apparently may never come in. The doc found them when they had to remove all of my horribly impacted wt's. So they remove the ones associated with 'wisdom' and leave me the ones associated with 'vestigial'. I am SO pleased.
                        -30-

Comment

Got any other extra parts, baby?
                          Life and death is a grave matter;
                          all things pass quickly away.
                          Each of you must be completely alert;
                          never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

You know, as funny as all this is, no one here has told me how not to die.

Comment

Yeah, an oversized imaginary penis. I'll send it post-fvcking-haste.

Adam is not the first man mentioned in the Bible; he is merely Chap 1.

Any stigma can be used to beat a dogma.
                              -30-

Comment

Working...
                              X