No announcement yet.

Awful Auto Accident (or massive homicide?) in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AARP would probably counter the higher insurance rates by getting the government to pass an "elderly car insurance" benefit.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I hate the AARP passionately.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Its automatic transmission folks.... You should ban it! Learn to drive with manual... it isnt that hard and stuff like this doesnt happen....

semi

Comment

wouldn't another pedal just confuse old folks even more?

I for one have never confused the brake for the gas pedal. I can't fathom how someone would do that. One's on the right, and one's on the left. And they are differnt shapes and sizes too! I have had my foot slip off the brake pedal before, but that is far different from hitting the wrong friggin' pedal.

Comment

Well, it would confuse them alright. But this kind of things just dont happen with a manual trans.

What happens is that folks drive with both their feet. One on the brake, the other on the afterburner Now that you cannot do with the stickshift.

Besides, why make it easier for them to keep their license (sorry, but it is dangerous out there).

Comment

Originally posted by Daz
              Its automatic transmission folks.... You should ban it! Learn to drive with manual... it isnt that hard and stuff like this doesnt happen....

semi

This sounds like the beginning of a bad trend. Next thing you know they will allow third parties to be on the ballot, and we all know that Democrat voting oldsters can only handle one "choice" at a time. Instead I'd model a future car design for the elderly on the new ballot that the Democrats have come up with for South Florida which automatically votes a straight Democrat ticket. In the case of the car the one pedal would only operate the break.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Let them ride Vespas!

The old kind (pre 1985) that stall out if you pop the clutch too quick - and it's on the left hand grip, so if you have arthritis, you ain't a-goin'!

Well, that and a top speed of about 60mph. But you do have to premix the gas and oil, so if they forget to do THAT, it's like a built-in check.
                -30-

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoch

Here's a quote that emphesizes how dangerous elderly drivers are.

Drivers who are 85 and older have a fatality rate nine times as high as 25- to 69-year-olds,
                  I'll bet you can replace "Driver" with about any other activity and get the same stats.

Skiers, Divers, Bowlers, Cellists...
                  What?

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV

My father is 76 and should not be driving a car but it would seriously limit his quality of life if he had to stop so his doctor keeps signing the forms to say he is fit. Crazy system.
                    Its easy for some to say that elderly drivers should not be on the road but, as with your father, what happens to those people who dont have any public transport? How do they get out to deal with necessities such as food?

As for manadatory re-testing, its good idea that is hard to implement given the political clout of the grey panthers. Everybody should be retested every 5 years then maybe we could re-test the elderly every year without turning them into pariah.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I hate the AARP passionately.

Smart man.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

perhaps we should euthanize old people when they reach 70 years old.

Comment

Working...
                        X