Awful Auto Accident (or massive homicide?) in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awful Auto Accident (or massive homicide?) in California

SANTA MONICA, California (CNN) -- An elderly man driving a mid-size car plowed through a crowded farmers market Wednesday, killing eight people, including a 3-year-old girl, authorities said.

The more than 55 hurt include 15 people with critical injuries, they said.

Santa Monica Police Chief James T. Butts Jr. said the driver of the car, who appears to be in his 80s, is in custody after being released from a local hospital where he was found to have no alcohol or psychiatric medications in his system.

He said the man is in stable condition, conscious and talking to officers at the police station.

Butts said the man drove his 1992 mid-size Buick "at least at a moderate rate of speed" for three blocks along the market street, which was filled with pedestrians, "striking dozens of people." The car stopped only after a pedestrian was thrown into the air and landed on the windshield of the vehicle, Butts said.

The accident occurred at 1:47 p.m. (4:47 p.m. EDT), Butts said.

Butts said officers have interviewed more than 100 witnesses who give conflicting reports regarding the driver's demeanor at the time of the incident.

"So now we're attempting to determine whether this was a straight accident -- medically related -- criminal negligence or criminal homicide," Butts said.

One witness said, "He was not only speeding, he was accelerating."

Joe Chrisman works in a building along the street where the market is held. He witnessed the accident and said the driver appeared befuddled.

"He looked very, very confused," Chrisman said. "I think he was just mentally out of touch. He seemed very confused when he stepped out of the car. He definitely shouldn't have been behind the wheel. He was definitely not quite with it."

Chrisman said there was a woman underneath the man's car, and after a bicycle policeman apprehended the driver, a group of about 10 people together lifted the car off of the victim, who was still breathing.

Video shot by local news station helicopters showed several people being treated by emergency personnel on top of red sheets in the street. Ambulances and police cars crowded the area, and a damaged red car sat among debris.

'Single most horrific, devastating scene of tragedy'
    As police roped off the crime scene, a child's blue stroller sat empty in the street amid bodies covered with yellow tarps.

"This is the single most horrific, devastating scene of tragedy I've ever witnessed in 30 years of law enforcement," Butts said. He added that the sight of the dead child "just broke my heart."

Chrisman said he ran outside to help after the accident.

There was "so much carnage," he said.

Four of the injured were taken to St. John's Health Center, where a spokeswoman said one person was in critical condition, two were moderately injured and one had a minor injury.

UCLA Medical Center received seven patients: one in critical condition, two in serious condition and four with minor injuries.

A spokeswoman for the Santa Monica Police Department said the Wednesday market is usually extremely busy, with three city blocks devoted to the market stalls and closed to all but pedestrian traffic.

According to the city's Web site, 9,000 people visit the market each week.
    Awful... I can't even put it in words how terrible this is....
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Edited by ming.... and check your PM's geeslaka... and I would recommend you do so soon.
    Last edited by Ming; July 17, 2003, 02:19.
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Comment

I don't think this thread is good for you to be sarcastic. Shut up.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

It is, indeed, sad. What if this old man was being chased by police though?

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
          It is, indeed, sad. What if this old man was being chased by police though?

ACK!
          I still think you are incorrect in that other debate we were having.

He probably drove to the market in a modest speed, then sped up through the market.

Don't hijack this thread.

Comment

The latest is that he mistook the gas pedal for the brakes.

We really need to do something about elderly drivers.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

It was an accident

but they really should revoke licenses from old people who cannot drive.

Comment

another person has just died.

that brings the total to 9

including a 3 year old girl, and an 8 year old girl

Comment

Tragic. Yet more proof that society should grind up old people and turn them into food.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

We should revoke licenses from people who can't drive, period.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                      Tragic. Yet more proof that society should grind up old people and turn them into food.
                      In the words of George Carlin: "If we're going to recycle, LET'S GET SERIOUS!"

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Hey, but who would eat such old stuff?
                        Blah

Comment

What a waste...
                          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

1 Old people vote.

2 People who aren't competent to drive usually refuse to believe they aren't competent.

3 If you piled up all the people killed on the roads in one place at one time each year there would be a massive public outcry at such a horrific disaster. Because the deaths are spread out they are relatively "invisible" so there isn't the pressure on legislators to do something drastic about it.

Driving tests should be harder and you should have to take a test every few years once you reach 60 but it isn't going to happen because people see driving a car as a right, not a privilege.

It's raining here so that's why I feel a bit negative today
                            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

That kind of accidents raise negative thoughts, rain or shine...
                              I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X