It is ridiculous that people only have to take a driving test at 16 and then just pay the renewal every few years and they keep their license for life. Mandatory retesting should be done every year beyond age 65 IMHO. There just comes a point when you have to put up your keys and get the grandkids to take you around.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Awful Auto Accident (or massive homicide?) in California
Collapse
X
-
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003
-
My father's last experience behind the wheel came three years ago at the age of 80. He was in the driveway in his Dodge V-8 truck (!!), and set sail...in reverse. Knocked the garage door completely off the rails.
That was it. Confiscate the keys, sell the truck. He's strictly a passenger now."When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett
Comment
-
Green Party Changes name. Now to be called Soylent Green Party.Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Tragic. Yet more proof that society should grind up old people and turn them into food.He's got the Midas touch.
But he touched it too much!
Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!
Comment
-
Yeah, right.Originally posted by PLATO1003
It is ridiculous that people only have to take a driving test at 16 and then just pay the renewal every few years and they keep their license for life. Mandatory retesting should be done every year beyond age 65 IMHO. There just comes a point when you have to put up your keys and get the grandkids to take you around.
One 80 year old ****s up and suddenly everyone over 65 should be tested continually.
The vast majority of accidents are caused by people around their twenties. And I'm pretty sure at least as many people died in other car accidents that same day, caused by much younger drivers.
I think a better idea would be to have mandatory annual retesting for, say, the first 5 years after getting your license. And then for the rest of your life, every 5 years (or less).
Over here in Holland, I just heard, more and more companies start organising yearly examinations for all their employees with company cars. The reduction in car accidents more than pays back the investment. I'd say that's a good thing (even though the idea behind it is money, not safety).
Comment
-
I was under the impression that the vast majority of drivers were in their twenties too?The vast majority of accidents are caused by people around their twenties
No. I suggest that, say, we just have a retest at 65. That would go ahead and probably weed out all the serious incidents.One 80 year old ****s up and suddenly everyone over 65 should be tested continually.meet the new boss, same as the old boss
Comment
-
This kind of thing has been a problem in the UK for a long time. I saw a TV programme a while ago about a scheme where drivers are given the choice between a refresher/training course and test or being prosecuted. What was worrying was one woman, clearly over 65, who had nearly caused a serious accident, was shown making potentially serious mistakes on the training and absolutely refused to accept that her driving was less than perfect.
There was another case a few years ago where someone ran over and killed a pedestrian using a marked crossing. The driver was found to be completely blind in one eye and to have only 20% vision in the other eye but had just carried on driving.
I don't know if the system in the US is any better but at least some steps to check people are physically and mentally fit to drive after they pass their initial test are long overdue in the UK.
My father is 76 and should not be driving a car but it would seriously limit his quality of life if he had to stop so his doctor keeps signing the forms to say he is fit. Crazy system.Never give an AI an even break.
Comment
-
Epileptic ?One witness said, "He was not only speeding, he was accelerating."
Joe Chrisman works in a building along the street where the market is held. He witnessed the accident and said the driver appeared befuddled.
"He looked very, very confused," Chrisman said. "I think he was just mentally out of touch. He seemed very confused when he stepped out of the car.The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.
Comment
-
And thus the Fez investigation is closed. Next!Originally posted by Fez
He probably drove to the market in a modest speed, then sped up through the market.
Are you suggesting that this old guy drove slowly and calmly up to the market and then put his foot on the gas to mow down a row of children? Cos that's what it sounds like...
Anyway, this is a great tragedy.
We should revoke licenses from people who can't drive, period.
Agreed. Everyone should be required to retake the test every 10 years, in my opinion, regardless of their age.If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.
Comment
-
Every 10 might be too far apart. Every 5 sounds more like it.
They have been working on making the requirements for new drivers more strict (my 16yr old nephew just got his license, and he had to do lots more than I did when I got mine... which is very much a good thing), so I think they should be working on the older drivers too.
Of course, the main sticking point has already been brought up: the elderly vote.
-Arrian
p.s. My driving test (10 years ago) was utterly pathetic. So I absolutely agree it should be harder, with more training required.grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!
The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Comment
-
Of course, forcing everyone to retake the test every 5 or 10 years is hardly a vote-winning policy with any demographic. Many sensible policies aren't.
What the US needs is a unelected dictator who can push through legislation with only a passing nod in the direction of the constitution. Oh wait .....
If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.
Comment
-
You're a funny guy, FP. A funny guy. 
Actually, that might be a good idea, so long as I'm the dictator.
-Arriangrog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!
The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Comment
-
He might have confused the brake pedal for the gas pedal but I'm just reaching here.Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Are you suggesting that this old guy drove slowly and calmly up to the market and then put his foot on the gas to mow down a row of children? Cos that's what it sounds like...I make no bones about my moral support for [terrorist] organizations. - chegitz guevara
For those who aspire to live in a high cost, high tax, big government place, our nation and the world offers plenty of options. Vermont, Canada and Venezuela all offer you the opportunity to live in the socialist, big government paradise you long for. –Senator Rubio
Comment
-
Oooh, the LOL and RANT smilies. Now I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. The suspense is killing me.Originally posted by Arrian
You're a funny guy, FP. A funny guy. 
Actually, that might be a good idea, so long as I'm the dictator.
-Arrian
You'd make a good dictator Arrian. If you got too out of line we'd just put you under House Arrest. You'd be a dangerous madman, but at least we'd know where you were: "Just don't go in that bloody house!".

He might have confused the brake pedal for the gas pedal but I'm just reaching here.
I've done that before. That's the reason why we need regular driving tests to weed out the dangerous incompetent drivers like me and this old guy.If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.
Comment
Comment