Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    Meds. 2nd shelf in the master bath.
    I can't help it... it's like a big brown zombie coming to stuff me full of doughy treats until I explode! Didn't they take that picture right before shooting it down off of the Empire State Building in the 20's?

Comment

Be nice, Z.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think nice would be taking that monstrosity off of my breakfast products - I want to make pancakes here, not be thrown in a pot and boiled by African natives!

Comment

I've only seen Aunt Jemima declared racist ONCE.

That was a parody of the PC movement anyways.

Sure, toss out one of the most recognized brands in American in favor of some cheap **** they drew up in an art room in a week.

What next? Where will the torment end?
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Bingo. I was going to reference Sambo's myself.
            Are Heckyl and Jeckyl on nickelodian ? Or anywhere?
            Probably not.

Amos and Andy, I can understand that one.
            That would be a little over the line these days.
            A LITTLE over the line?
            Amos and Andy was nothing better than a racist, minstrel show.

As for that Sambo name -- that is definitely deragatory.

But I suppose if one kow tows to conservative political correctness it's best not to be offended by anything racist, less you offend conservatives who are offended that you're offended.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

As I said, and you quoted, I understand that one.

Anything I say, you and "the other guy" feel it your duty to try and pick apart.
              That's cool. I have broad shoulders. I can handle it.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by BustaMike
                Ya, that's pretty dumb.

Anyone ever see the SNL skit with Tracey Morgan doing Uncle Jamima's Mash Liquor? It was great.
                That was perhaps the funniest fake-ad that SNL ever produced.

Aunt Jemima: "You bringing our people down with that stuff!"

Uncle Jemima: "Well I don' zactly recall our people swellin' up wiff pride because o' yo pancake mix!"
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

As I said, and you quoted, I understand that one.

Anything I say, you and "the other guy" feel it your duty to try and pick apart.
                  That's cool. I have broad shoulders. I can handle it.
                  Sorry -- it just sounded like with the word "little" that you didn't think the show was racist.

Besides, you pick everything that Boris posts apart -- so I guess you know how it feels.

Comment

Did RAH really say that? And he's pulling down oover 100k a year ?
                    Fascinating.

Did I utter "that" name, MrFun. No. I didn't.

Comment

I'm sure glad Mr. Fun is here to teach us what is acceptable and what is not.
                      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

A LITTLE over the line?
                        Amos and Andy was nothing better than a racist, minstrel show.

As for that Sambo name -- that is definitely deragatory.

But I suppose if one kow tows to conservative political correctness it's best not to be offended by anything racist, less you offend conservatives who are offended that you're offended.
                        Can you explain to us why Sambo is offensive without resorting to an internet search?

Comment

Re: "Aunt Jamima" Logo Deemed Racist, Intolerant

Originally posted by Zylka
                          Calgary Herald, Sunday 13th July - 2003

The cherished logo used by American food giant Quaker for its famed "Aunt Jamima" line of pancake products will soon undergo an artistic facelift, say key company spokesman. Until recently, the heartwarming figure of a smiling African-American woman was printed on every bottle of syrup and box of pancake mix to be consumed at home in the United States or abroad & overseas at several prominent export markets. Concerns over alienation of minority populations in these regions; most importantly the former - prompted the decision to change the familiar face, as well as name.

"This is a step towards equality, a step away from stereotype" touts Willis Favre - a leading black rights advocate out of Chicago who pushed for the resolution. "Soon enough will come a new product to the shelves that I can feel comfortable bringing home to my children - one without a stamp of generalization that will have them confused and asking questions of their own role in society". Favre's dedication and resolve to the issue narrowly averted a court battle between Quaker and representatives of nearly 300 black citizens across the United States, most of whom presented the same concerns of an ever increasing, under-toned racism in American consumer culture.

The re-badge name of Quaker's popular line is said to be changed from "Aunt Jamima" to "Aunt Janice", while the logo will be changed to a more modern and universally suggestive, dark tanned soccer Mom figure. The first shipment slated to hit shelves across North America will come sometime late September, with extended export upgrades following shortly after.
                          Wait, they're CHANGING THE NAME TOO!?? Holy ****, these guys are off the deep end! No longer will references to their product be understood by generations of the future!

And "averted a court battle"...yes, sure, just _USE_ the courts like that. I honestly think Quaker could've won the case if they had the balls to take it.

I wonder whut ring of hell is reserved for touchy irritable brats who can't find anything important to ***** about.
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

He's prejudiced against tigers who turn to butter.

Comment

Re: Re: "Aunt Jamima" Logo Deemed Racist, Intolerant

Originally posted by mrmitchell

Wait, they're CHANGING THE NAME TOO!?? Holy ****, these guys are off the deep end! No longer will references to their product be understood by generations of the future!

And "averted a court battle"...yes, sure, just _USE_ the courts like that. I honestly think Quaker could've won the case if they had the balls to take it.

I wonder whut ring of hell is reserved for touchy irritable brats who can't find anything important to ***** about.
                              I'm not sure, but it seems we live there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

Can you explain to us why Sambo is offensive without resorting to an internet search?
                                IIRC, Sambo was a simple name given to some slaves by slave owners.

Comment

Working...
                                X