Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Aunt Jamima" Logo Deemed Racist, Intolerant

Calgary Herald, Sunday 13th July - 2003

The cherished logo used by American food giant Quaker for its famed "Aunt Jamima" line of pancake products will soon undergo an artistic facelift, say key company spokesman. Until recently, the heartwarming figure of a smiling African-American woman was printed on every bottle of syrup and box of pancake mix to be consumed at home in the United States or abroad & overseas at several prominent export markets. Concerns over alienation of minority populations in these regions; most importantly the former - prompted the decision to change the familiar face, as well as name.

"This is a step towards equality, a step away from stereotype" touts Willis Favre - a leading black rights advocate out of Chicago who pushed for the resolution. "Soon enough will come a new product to the shelves that I can feel comfortable bringing home to my children - one without a stamp of generalization that will have them confused and asking questions of their own role in society". Favre's dedication and resolve to the issue narrowly averted a court battle between Quaker and representatives of nearly 300 black citizens across the United States, most of whom presented the same concerns of an ever increasing, under-toned racism in American consumer culture.

The re-badge name of Quaker's popular line is said to be changed from "Aunt Jamima" to "Aunt Janice", while the logo will be changed to a more modern and universally suggestive, dark tanned soccer Mom figure. The first shipment slated to hit shelves across North America will come sometime late September, with extended export upgrades following shortly after.

Not much supplied, as it was crammed way back in the paper in a single column. I must say I'm surprised and outright laughing hysterically at this sign of the times. WOW!!!

Has anyone got a picture of it?

Comment

Pretty stupid move, getting rid of one of the most recognizable brand-names in America. Their sales are going to plummet.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Boo! Aunt Jemima rocked.
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ya, that's pretty dumb.

Anyone ever see the SNL skit with Tracey Morgan doing Uncle Jamima's Mash Liquor? It was great.
          "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

You know, when I was a kid in Taiwan, we had toothpaste called 'Darkie'. It had a white man in blackface as its logo. I think they changed the name and logo, but I'm pretty sure that no-one there ever considered that it might be racist or offensive to anyone.
            -30-

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
              Has anyone got a picture of it?
              something like this:

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

And another victory over oppression!
                35 years ago, it was Little Black Sambo from Sambo's restaurant, now we've liberated Aunt Jemima!

Someone should ship these whiny mother****ers to Africa or south Asia, Haiti, someplace like that, to see if they'd deign to apply their "energy" to trying to actually do something useful.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

She looks like one of the Lilt Ladies.

Comment

Little Black Sambo was kinda pushin' it though. It would be hard for anyone to claim that wasn't racist.
                    "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Aunt Jemima is the sh1t!!! booo for this decision!

edit: I guess I there isn't much hope my favorite detergent "clean my cotton, n****r" will survive the PC crackdown...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                        And another victory over oppression!
                        35 years ago, it was Little Black Sambo from Sambo's restaurant, now we've liberated Aunt Jemima!

Someone should ship these whiny mother****ers to Africa or south Asia, Haiti, someplace like that, to see if they'd deign to apply their "energy" to trying to actually do something useful.
                        Bingo. I was going to reference Sambo's myself.
                        Are Heckyl and Jeckyl on nickelodian ? Or anywhere?
                        Probably not.

Amos and Andy, I can understand that one.
                        That would be a little over the line these days.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I remember Golly Wogs. They were quite dodgy

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

AGHHHHHH! HOLY F*CK, KILL IT!!!

Comment

Meds. 2nd shelf in the master bath.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X