No announcement yet.

Commissioning of USS Ronald Reagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clinton finally brought us out of the Republican mess with responsible spending and balancing the budget.

You mean Clinton built on the better economy that Reagan started? The high deficits were never meant to last, but Democratic controlled Congress increased spending by 8% every year when Reagan wanted them to cut spending.

ah yes... constructing massive amounts of nuclear weapons and forcing the Russians to bankrupt themselves by doing the same... good strategy

Yeah it was. You don't see the USSR around any more, do you? Having that dissapear is worth the consequences.

Reagan - one of the best President's of the 20th Century .

NORFOLK, Virginia (AP) -- Petty Officer 1st Class Paul Fulsom became the first sailor assigned to the USS Ronald Reagan when he was transferred from Bahrain three years ago after the birth of his daughter, who needed surgery.

He's watched the carrier's construction since he reported to the Reagan on May 26, 2000. At the time, "you could look from the hangar bay up to the sky," the 32-year-old said.

On Saturday, the Reagan officially entered naval service with a commissioning ceremony at Norfolk Naval Station. And Fulsom, one of it's many sailors, says he's proud to serve on a carrier named after the nation's 40th president, a strong supporter of the Navy.

"To have my name in the same sentence as the former president is an honor in itself," Fulsom said.

Vice President **** Cheney, speaking at the commissioning ceremony Saturday, also praised Reagan, saying today's Navy is in many ways a monument to his vision. By the time the two-term president left office in 1989, the Navy had nearly 600 ships -- about twice the ships it has today.

"He came to the presidency with a clear understanding of the tools our Navy would need to protect the American people," Cheney told the crowd.

The Reagan is the first U.S. carrier to bear the name of a living president.

The former president, now 92, is living with Alzheimer's disease and rarely appears in public. But former first lady Nancy Reagan, who christened the ship in 2001, was on hand to give the traditional order to "bring her to life" Saturday -- which sends the sailors racing aboard the carrier.

At nearly 1,100 feet long and towering 20 stories above the waterline, the Reagan is expected to serve the Navy for more than 50 years.

It will be based in San Diego and be home to 6,000 sailors and carry more than 80 aircraft. With two nuclear reactors, the carrier can travel faster than 30 knots and operate for 20 years without refueling.

"Quite frankly, there's not a better name for an aircraft carrier than Ronald Reagan," said the ship's commanding officer, Capt. Bill Goodwin.

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You mean Clinton built on the better economy that Reagan started?
      you have a lot to learn about economics... event the right wing economic think tanks (like Cato Institute) don't make such stupid assertions.

Yeah it was. You don't see the USSR around any more, do you? Having that dissapear is worth the consequences.
      yeah now we have a worse situation...

Reagan's going to burn in hell with Strommy.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Do you think that he fall of the Roman empire was because of the Germans?
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

you have a lot to learn about economics

Says the person untrained in economics to one that has a B.A. in the subject .

Clinton took a basic structure that was inherited from the Reagan years. Reagan cut back on regulations and taxes which created the boom of the 80s, and after a short recession (business cycle) was back in buisness. Clinton was smart enough (at least after 1994) to not **** around with the basic structure.

yeah now we have a worse situation...

Bull****... it's a much better situation.

Reagan's spot in heaven has already been reserved .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Says the person untrained in economics to one that has a B.A. in the subject
            I'd get a refund if I were you then...

Bull****... it's a much better situation.
            yeah, terrorists with easy access to nukes... much better
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'd get a refund if I were you then...

Why should I get a refund for learning the subject and knowing immensly more than tools such as yourself .

yeah, terrorists with easy access to nukes... much better

Yep... today's world is much better than that of the USSR. Of course, only someone with blinders on, like yourself, wouldn't be able to see it.

Comment

Yep... today's world is much better than that of the USSR. Of course, only someone with blinders on, like yourself, wouldn't be able to see it.

Tell that to the people of the USSR.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Tell that to the people of the USSR.

Why don't you ask Saras what he thinks?

Freedom rather than fear and totalitarianism? That fall of the USSR was a glorious thing. Hopefully in the future they celebrate it as a national holiday as it deserves to be.

I can put Saras in charge of that .

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                    Reagan didn't save capitalism. No one can do that. I don't even think that Reagan saved the world from the USSR. The USSR did themselves in.
                    Reagan confronted the USSR which was the right thing to do!
                    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Why don't you ask people around the entire USSR..
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Let's wait 10 years and then ask them what they think .

I seem to remember another country that, 10 years after they revolted had some problems with GDP and so forth and had a bunch of people contemplating whether that was the right thing to do. That country? The United States.

I can't imagine anyone thinking the fall of the Soviet Union was a BAD thing!

Comment

Why don't you ask people around the entire USSR..
                          because it's easier for the dumb to continue in believing what they were brainwashed, rather than learning about the truth.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

because it's easier for the dumb to continue in believing what they were brainwashed, rather than learning about the truth.

Now, now Sava... you don't have to continually put down yourself .

Comment

Now, now Sava... you don't have to continually put down yourself
                              Do you watch Stargate? The new episode last night reminds me of the Cold War brainwashing in this country.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Because the USSR was all happy and wonderful?

I bet we were brainwashed into hating that good Hitler chap too, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X