The Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    anyone mention Dirty Dozen? im a sucker for Lee Marvin...

Yeah, someone already mentioned it. Thank god they did or I might have had a vein explode in my brain.
    are you my long lost brother or something?
    perhaps my DL? its just insane how much it seems we are alike... unlike minkspider... the bizzaro kramerman (oh my, thats a lot of tounge...)
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by dannubis
      paths of glory
      kirk douglas rules !!!
      sparticus! 2000 leagues under... hmm, i guess sparticus wouldnt even be a war movie
      "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
      - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

• are you my long lost brother or something?

Well, if I am your long-lost brother, then I'm pretty pissed off that you got to live in Texas while I was shipped off the Nebraska. Doesn't seem very fair...

hmm, i guess sparticus wouldnt even be a war movie

What? Spartacus is definitely a war movie and a fine war movie at that.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          I can't believe no one's mentioned "Kelly's Heroes" yet. One of the few movies that I'll always watch when it comes on.

Where Eagles Dare with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood, great movie.

I agree completely. It is a good comedy, and the action is very good (accurate) for its time. Where Eagles Dare is also a great classic, though obviously complete fiction. Burton does the acting and Eastwood does the shooting. What more could one want for entertainment?
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• I'm pleasantly surprised that Paths of Glory has gotten so many mentions. It's a terrific film, but it's old and isn't strictly a combat movie.

One film I like personally is an obscure film from 1962 called "Hell to Eternity". (No, it's not "From Here to Eternity". ) It tells the story of Guy Gabaldon, an orphan from East LA who is adopted by a Japanese-American family in the thirties. When the war starts his family is shipped off to concentration camps, which pisses him off, so he refuses to enlist. His two brothers end up in the 442 (Go for Broke!) in Europe. He finally decides to enlist after talking to his mother, and is accepted despite a perforated eardrum because he speaks Japanese. He goes to Saipan with the 2nd Marine Division and wins the Navy Cross for heroism in combat. He also manages to save several hundred Japanese civilians and soldiers by talking them into surrendering instead of committing suicide.

The film is a bit corny, and the combat scenes (where they don't use WW2 combat footage) are as laughable as most films of the era. Why do I like this film? Because it is the first film that I ever saw that dealt with the internment of Japanese Americans in a realistic fashion. The whole issue of race is dealt with really well in this picture IMO. It's also a true story, filmed on Okinawa (where I lived as a kid for six years) with the 3rd Marines and Okinawan civilians used as extras. The characters are interesting and likeable and believable. It's very hard to find a copy of, but fortunately for me we have an excellent video store here in Boulder, who have a copy for rent.

Another good film is "Pork Chop Hill" with Gregory Peck. It is based on the book of the same name by SLA Marshall, whose name should be familiar to those who appreciate military history and combat doctrine. It is perhaps the most realistic war film of the decade of the 1950s, with technical advice from several veterans of the battle, including the main character who commanded the rifle company that made the assault.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• I still need to see Paths of Glory and Iron Cross, those have been recommended by my buddies so I must check them out, as they seem to enjoy popularity here too.

Hamburger Hill is one of the better Vietnam movies IMO too. And of course Good Morning, Vietnam is a good one.

VetLegion, SO! You did not answer my question. Either you have seen the film now, but didn't like it at all, or you didn't see it. Which one is it?

Patton I also enjoyed. I have read about him some, but he wasn't number one subject in our history classes for obvious reasons (can't focus on every countries war heroes). He was quite a character, and I think the movie was pretty decent. I enjoyed it.

About FMJ.. I liked the boot camp part better too. I did like the rest of it too, but the ending was kind of.. it was a good scene, but it lacked something. Like 30 minutes more action. Something. I kind of wanted it to end to a big combat scene, a huge battle, like the Platoon ended. I think it would have suited the movie.

There's a coming movie of our hero, Mannerheim btw. Going to be directed by the average hollywood action director Renny Harlin. I'm afraid it will suck though.. because it's hard to make a movie to make the justice he would deserve. He fought for Russia and Czar something and was all the way to China and all, then came here, lead the winning side of Civil War here (kicking out commies), and then leading Winter War and succesful defense. He also made tough choices, like not obeying Hitlers wishes about the Jewish question and also not cutting the main supply route, that would have made Stalingrad even more unbareable (knowning the war would end, and there would be price to pay for that). Also had the famous Mannerheim-line, simular to Maginot line. Never was penetrated. After that he became the President too. He was quite a character too. Perfect gentleman, liked women and was little bit weird in his own ways, but I guess all geniouses are little bit weird.

Should include lots of combat and all that, but I'm afraid it will suck. There was even some speculation that Sean Connery would play him, but I don't think so, just rumours. Harlin can get pretty much anyone though..
              I'll be waiting with excitement, unfortunately it will take few years at the very least, maybe more.

Concept is interesting though. He is fighting his old master with weaker forces, and Russian leaders and him had a weird relationship. Enemy leaders respected him and he respected them in perfect gentleman way, but were still the worst enemies. Like if they met in a field, they'd have a drink and talk good about the other and shake hands, walking different directions not trying to cheat and then next day coming out and trying to take out each other. It was very weird. I hope they can show that in the movie.
              Last edited by Pekka; July 9, 2003, 08:49.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• I'd like to see a war movie from one mans perspective. He would go to fight, and then toughen up. He'd do all kinds of dangerous missions, and see horrible things. Then at the end of the movie he would fall apart like Pacino in Godfather III, and right at that moment when he starts to recover from his sadness, he'd get shot by enemy troops, surprising, fast, and wake up in POW camp, where the enemy intel knows who he is and what he has done and they make him pay for it. And he doesn't get released or free but die there sad, lonely, slowly and in horrible pains. And then credits starts rolling. I'm tired of 'happy' endings in war movies.. I need the main character to die and get the worst price of them all.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

• Originally posted by Serb

I guess you should avoid all war movies made by French directors.

I don't remember a single modern Russian movie about Stalingrad battle. All movies about Stalingrad were made during Soviet times. Most of them were very good and very accurate in comparsion with 'enemy at the gates', but still it were for internal use. A heroic sagas about great struggle. I doubt any of them were ever translated to foreign languages.
                  Excuse me man, but Soviet war movies are total propaganda crap. I mean, EVERYONE still laughs after seeing a motorcycle with a carriage on the street. Why? Because German troops (esp. motorcycle troops) were shown as complete and utter morons, and motorcycles rolled over at the first sound of Russian rifles.

Come on!
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

• Too bad.. Someone should make a modern movie about Stalingrad, the whole battle as a whole with no expences saved. It's one of the greatest battles after all.
                    In da butt.

Comment

• I'd say it was one of the worst and bloodiest pissing contests between two bloodiest raving maniacs in history. Stalingrad is irrelevant in the tactical, operational and strategic sense, yet Hitler pressed to capture it, while Stalin could have let the Germans drain resources for control of the town and supply routes, traded land for time, and cut off the spearhead after it got too extended.
                      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

• i'm torn between patton, full metal jacket, and apocalypse now.

the first one is absolutely great because patton was funny, cool, and eccentric--and george c scott was spectacular.
                        full metal jacket because it's got great black humor, dark, and well done.
                        the last one because it made "heart of darkness" actually good.
                        B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
                          Glory and Paths of Glory.. never seen them.. what wars are they about?
                          "Glory" is the story of the 54th Massachusetts regiment, the first Black regiment in the US army. How the unit was formed at the instigation of black and white abolitionists (including Frederick Douglas) how they and their white officer faced white racism during their training, equipment and initial deployment. How they fought bravely at Fort Wagner - a battle which confirmed for America that the blacks could and would fight, and helped lead to votes and citizenship for blacks. Some excellent performances.

Some might call it corny, but it brought tears to my eyes.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

"Glory" is the story of the 54th Massachusetts regiment, the first Black regiment in the US army. How the unit was formed at the instigation of black and white abolitionists (including Frederick Douglas) how they and their white officer faced white racism during their training, equipment and initial deployment. How they fought bravely at Fort Wagner - a battle which confirmed for America that the blacks could and would fight, and helped lead to votes and citizenship for blacks. Some excellent performances.

Some might call it corny, but it brought tears to my eyes.
                            As you may note from the debate i had with Ecthelion, I have a thing for minority groups deemed dishonorable and unworthy to fight, who then affirm their honor in battle.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• surprised no ones mentioned "Gladiator" while its not really a war movie, the opening battle scene is a very realistic recreation of Roman tactics. Far more realistic than the portrayal of Roman politics in the rest of the film, of course.

Comment

• Excuse me man, but Soviet war movies are total propaganda crap. I mean, EVERYONE still laughs after seeing a motorcycle with a carriage on the street. Why? Because German troops (esp. motorcycle troops) were shown as complete and utter morons, and motorcycles rolled over at the first sound of Russian rifles.

Well, he did say they were for "internal consumption".

The Germans are always portrayed as very organized and capable in US WWII movies--why would they be worth fighting otherwise? I wonder why Russian war movies are so different...
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X