NASA Benchmarks the PowerMac G5!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA Benchmarks the PowerMac G5!

This you can't deny! A fellow that works for NASA has benchmarked the Apple PowerMac G5. This test was done at a NASA research center. Now it's only a matter of time before NASA and the U.S. Government officially endorses these benchmarks. This page even has an e-mail link to the person that tested the system; notice it is a nasa.gov e-mail address. I have just e-mailed a message to this person to confirm his identity and am waiting for a reply.

Notice that these benchmarks are for single processor only. Pay careful attention to the following:

Though dual processor benchmarks are not presented in detail here, it is worth noting that the G5 system benchmarked at 498 MFLOPS and 0.125 MFLOPS/MHz for scalar Jet3D performance when two processors were used.
    As before, it is worth noting that the G5 system benchmarked at 5177 MFLOPS and 1.29 MFLOPS/MHz for vector Jet3D performance when two processors were used.
    This means that the PowerMac G5 nearly doubled in performance when using two processors instead of one. Way cool!!!
    HAVE A DAY.
    <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
    "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
    For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Why couldn't you have put this in the Macintosh forum, allowing all of us to gain sweet +1 on all posts made in the inevitable flame war with Asher? I swear, you guys are trying your best to make sure I never have an avatar.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
      you guys are trying your best to make sure I never have an avatar.
      I still don't understand why you don't frequent Demogames, Nation States, or simply the community forum.

I'm eager to see the hot chick you'd choose as an avatar
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Why couldn't you have put this in the Macintosh forum, allowing all of us to gain sweet +1 on all posts made in the inevitable flame war with Asher? I swear, you guys are trying your best to make sure I never have an avatar.
        No offense Drake. I think it's going to be interesting to see what Asher's furious reply is going to be!
        HAVE A DAY.
        <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
        "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
        For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Saw it a couple days ago.

I knew not to take it seriously once I saw that they, once again, used a horrible P4 compiler;
          P4 using Portland Group F90 v4.0-3: pgf90 -byteswapio -tp p7 -O1

And they also even disabled SSE/SSE2:
          Note that the higher level of optimization (-O2) and SSE/SSE2 options in the Portland compiler degraded Jet3D performance on the P4 system, and were therefore not used.

And they also used a 1.5 year old P4.

It's interesting only in comparing G4 to G5.

But you do see the P4 2.66GHz, crippled without the Intel compiler and w/o SSE and SSE2, got 255 MFLOPS while the G5 2GHz got 254MFLOPS.

That's not impressive performance.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I still don't understand why you don't frequent Demogames, Nation States, or simply the community forum.

My problem is that I don't like to spam and few the threads in those forums interest me. All the issues I care to discuss are in the OT, but posting here won't get me an attractive woman under my name.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Or under your body, when you come to think of it
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Or under your body, when you come to think of it.

Very true. God damn addiction.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'm thinking of suing Markos
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I'm confused why Cloud9 posted this.

What point does it prove when a crippled old P4 beats a brand new "fastest personal computer ever"?

It even has fun quotes like this:
                    Based on an extrapolation of current P4 results, the 2GHz G5 would lag newly announced 3.2GHz P4 systems in Jet3D scalar floating point performance by about 20%

(this, again, without SSE/SSE2 )
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Or under your body, when you come to think of it
                      Do you doubt the OT's use in sex appeal ?
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

I'm thinking of suing Markos

Why? The only thing you'd be able to get from him in court would be some feta cheese and Yanni albums.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Why? The only thing you'd be able to get from him in court would be some feta cheese
                          When do we start ?

Comment

We may also win the Poly server

Comment

We may also win the Poly server

Cool! With that, we could start our own forum that inexplicably crashes once a week.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X