X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laid back Australia

Entertainment
    07/05/2003 13:43:35 EST Australia Police Shut Down Film Showing

Police shut down a public screening of a U.S. movie banned in Australia because of its explicit sex and violence, sparking outrage from free speech advocates.

"Ken Park," a provocative film by "Kids" director Larry Clark and Edward Lachman, catalogues the dysfunctional lives of teenage skateboarders in the suburbs of Visalia, Calif.

Its underage sex scenes and graphic violence led Australian authorities to refuse it a classification - effectively banning it from cinemas across the country.

To protest the move, about 500 people attended a public viewing of the movie late Wednesday in the upscale Sydney suburb of Balmain.

No one was arrested, but police seized the DVD on stage and took the names of four people who admitted to pressing the play button, among them movie critic Margaret Pomeranz and Australian Broadcasting Corp. broadcaster Julie Rigg. If they are charged with illegally screening the banned film, they face a maximum sentence of a year in prison.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Australia has a long history of bigotry and stupidity. Look at the white Australia policy

Still, it can be nice.
    Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

"For we are young and free........"
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Censorship of the worst variety...Gore would be proud
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

bah.

I wonder if the people who banned this "bunch of nudie pics" realized what statement the movie was making.

I guess movies are not allowed to show reality or make statements about it.

Good work, Australian government

Comment

Underage sex scenes. You commies are even for that?

Dang. I was all set to come in here and say there was a big difference between being laid back and being comatose; then I find a lair of pediophiles.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Censorship trumps actors portraying underage sex between consentual people.

Sorry Sloww.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Only the sheep are laid back in Australia.

Trust me, we have to destroy Australia before it is too late.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Censorship trumps actors portraying underage sex between consentual people.

Sorry Sloww.
                  As long as the actors are not underage themselves of course!
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003
                    As long as the actors are mot underage themselves of course!
                    You think they're really having sex?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

You think they're really having sex?
                      Regardless of weather they are "really" having sex, involving underage actors in sexually explicit scenes trumps censorship. If the actors were of age and merely playing underage characters then the censorship issue is valid
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Personally I don't think it should be illegal for underage people to pretend to have sex in a movie.

But that's just me.

Maybe you should get over the fact that kids will have sex, and it's not going to hurt anyone to pretend to for a film?

Comment

It would be interesting to apply similar logic to "DO you really think these actors are being knifed and shot?" or "Do these actors have firearms licences?".

The reality of the actors lives are unimportant, its the portrayal of what is being shown and told in the movie that counts.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Asher, you're not noted for having moderate views.
                            But that's just me.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Regardless of weather they are "really" having sex, involving underage actors in sexually explicit scenes trumps censorship.

I think that's Bull personally. Movies portray reality. This is portraying what happens in real life (ie, people under the age of 16 or 18 have sex ). Since it is not actually underage sex, I see nothing wrong with it at all. The reality is what matters, IMO, contrary to BC's idea .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X