Apple launches the PowerMac G5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple launches the PowerMac G5

The most powerful Mac laptops and desktops ever. Supercharged by Apple silicon. MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro.

I'll post more once I wade through their marketing...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Yeah, once again their numbers are fishy.

For example:
    P4 Xeon 3.06GHz: http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/...07-02060.html: SPECINTBase: 1089

not 836 like they say on their page.

Apple never changes...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

"When we started the G5, we knew we couldn't make it just a little bit faster, we had to make it a whole lot faster"
      Damn straight you did!
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

Real benchmark numbers (source: spec.org for the PCs, Apple.com for G5)

Xeon 3.06GHz (533MHz systembus):
        int base: 1089 (Apple claims 836 on their page)
        fp base: 1053 (Apple claims 646 on their page)

P4 3.0GHz (800MHz systembus):
        int base: 1164
        fp base: 1229

G5 2GHz:
        int base: 800
        fp base: 840

Apple, have you no shame?

How can they get away with this stuff time and time again?

Comment

So it IS an apple/ibm collaboration! Fa! I'm happy that my dad works at a company working hand in hand with apple.
          Drake Tungsten
          Albert Speer

Comment

A $3000US computer and it comes with a $100 video card?

The highest-end G5 comes with a Radeon 9600...

And they only have 3 cards for selection: GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (5200 is the cheapest FX, ~$70), Radeon 9600, Radeon 9800. Pretty sad...

Comment

We've always been a few months behind on graphics cards... The selection now is better than before. This is an upward trend.
              Drake Tungsten
              Albert Speer

Comment

That's one well designed computer. I think Jonathan Ives has another award in his future.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I think he's losing his touch.

The old PowerMacs looked better.

The inside of the case, however, looks very well designed. It just looks fugly on the outside.

The handles are unnecessary and tacky, it's overly metallic, and it's more bland than I'm used to from Apple.

Comment

In other news:

Asher proposes to Bill Gates!

-=Vel=-
                    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Silly Vel, for this thread it should read:

Asher proposes to Craig Barrett!

Comment

The outside would look better without all the perforations, but they're necessary for the cooling system to work. I think he did a first-rate job given the constraints he had to work with. It's still light years ahead of anything the PC manufacturers are crapping out these days.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I disagree, I could name half a dozen kickass PC cases that do even a better job of cooling.

Granted, they don't ship with OEM computers.

Comment

Asher!

-=Vel=-
                            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

OEM?

"I think he's losing his touch.
                              The old PowerMacs looked better.
                              The inside of the case, however, looks very well designed. It just looks fugly on the outside."
                              Wait... you're a pc user, right? I thought functionality mattered more to you than aesthetics!!!

I personally like the new look. I think it's slick.
                              Drake Tungsten
                              Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                              X