No announcement yet.

Would Visiting Aliens be Benevolent or Malevolent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MHh well regarding Our History Africa, South America,North America, Australia I would guess our cards are not so good...
    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

Already posted.
      Where? I apologise if it's already in this thread, but i hadn't noticed if it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lung

Where? I apologise if it's already in this thread, but i hadn't noticed if it is.
        It's fairly short, and I was just countering GePap assetation that it's impossible for technology advancement to slow to a crawl after a certain point.
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
          If they develop good enough machines to come all the way down here, they must be a highly scientific kind. I'm sure they will observe us before taking any steps (and observe Earth in general).

If we have resources they are interested in, they will calculate the cheapest thing to get them : either they'll trade us some worthless things, or they'll attack / enslave us.
          You're pretty much on the mark. I imagine that we would end up forking over lots of resources so that they could create stuff with them. Sort of like a 3rd world country/1st world country relationship. Then their lefties would protest the (insert interplanetary equivalent of "globalization" here.)

I doubt they'd attack, because their lefties would be up in arms. I also doubt they'd enslave us, because their machines would outperform us at everything.

Yes, I sincerely believe that aliens also have left-wingers and right-wingers.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

alien species would be more technologically advanced than us by virtue of the fact that they were able to get here from beyond our current means of space travel. From this it was deduced, quite logically, that they would therefore be less barbaric and be harmless to us.

I'm sure that's exactly what Native Americans thought when the mysterious floating cities filled with technologically advanced white-skinned aliens appeared off their coast.

If human history is any indicator, "more advanced technologically" usually = "more likely to annhiliate us and plunder our resources."

Our only hope is if human history is a poor indicator of alien tendencies!
            Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

I think any aliens would feign benevolence just to get our trust and then systematically try to destroy us. Cortez and Pizarro were very successful in doing something similiar.
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

All depends on their reason for coming here. I think it would be more interesting to discuss whether WE would be benevolent or malevolent once we are able to visit other worlds.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Vince:

it depends who discovers aliens, how they are discovered, and what they're like... if it's scientists who get a response over millions of miles with that SETI thing then we couldn't be aggressive but if some kind of rogue militant oppurtunists land on an alien planet then we'd have a repeat of the conquistadors.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                    Vince:

it depends who discovers aliens, how they are discovered, and what they're like... if it's scientists who get a response over millions of miles with that SETI thing then we couldn't be aggressive but if some kind of rogue militant oppurtunists land on an alien planet then we'd have a repeat of the conquistadors.
                    I hope we learn from the mistakes in our past before we reach out to anyone. We may run into someone who will squash us like a bug if we are not careful.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                    X