No announcement yet.

What ho, pip pip, jolly good, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starchild, of course I went to G-A-Y! How could I not?

EIF, no, I wasn't there Saturday. Went Thursday and Friday. Was far away at White Swan on Saturday.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: What ho, pip pip, jolly good, etc.

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

10) The walking tour I took was the Jack the Ripper tour, and the guide was Donald Rumbelow, who has written several books and was a major consultant on "From Hell," even giving a personal tour to Johnny Depp. It was actually a pretty interesting tour.
      That must have been good, Rumbelow is one of the better Ripper authors (although "From Hell" was crap). The best Ripper book IMHO (having read most of them) is "The Complete Jack the Ripper" which was written by him (I think it's that one - the one which tries to make out that George Stephenson the poisoner was the Ripper - which I don't believe).

I own a piece of the door from the entry 29 Hanbury Street (the site of the Chapman murder - she and the Ripper went through this door). My Dad was a Ripper enthusiast and a friend of his went round there when it was being demolished in the 60s and walked off with the door, which he then cut up and distributed among other Ripper-heads.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Re: Re: What ho, pip pip, jolly good, etc.

Originally posted by Agathon

That must have been good, Rumbelow is one of the better Ripper authors (although "From Hell" was crap). The best Ripper book IMHO (having read most of them) is "The Complete Jack the Ripper" which was written by him (I think it's that one - the one which tries to make out that George Stephenson the poisoner was the Ripper - which I don't believe).
        This is the book I had Rumbelow sign, which I haven't yet finished, and you've just ruined the ending for me.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: Re: Re: What ho, pip pip, jolly good, etc.

This is the book I had Rumbelow sign, which I haven't yet finished, and you've just ruined the ending for me.
          No I haven't. I was confusing that book (which is an oldie but a goodie) with "The Complete History of Jack the Ripper" by Philip Sugden. I even got the name of the poisoner wrong (I haven't thought about the Ripper much for a few years).

If you do get a chance, get the Sugden book - it's easily the best historical analysis of the case I've read and he methodically trashes the common theories about who did it. I used to think that the Ripper was a man called Montague Druitt who killed himself after the Kelly murder and was suspected by family members of being the Ripper (Daniel Farson painted him as a suspect) but Sugden proves it can't have been him.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

So far, the theory I find most intriguing is that he was a sailor on a cattle ship that was in port on weekends in London. This would explain the witness accounts of him being dressed like a sailor, his seeming knowledge of anatomy (quickly finding and removing the desired organs) and why the killings all occured on a weekend.

Rumbelow's book is prefaced by a criminal psychologist, and he points out that the Ripper and subsequent similar sex criminals all followed a basic patern of being social outcasts who, thanks to the industrialization and impersonalization of the world, had time to brood upon their misanthropy and develop deep-seated hatred to those whom they blamed for their alienation. They also took glee in shocking the society they hated, hence their committing murders in an effort to provoke public terror.

In this regard, yes, it is extremely unlikely the Duke of Clarence or the Prince of Wales was behind the murders. The notion of a top-hatted, caped Ripper may be "romatic," but is utterly absurd, giving the character of Whitechapel. No such figure would have been able to move around that district unnoticed--he would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Considering how quickly the Ripper eluded the police on the night of his double murder, he would have had to have been able to blend into the morning market crowds easily. Only someone dressed very commonly would have been able to do that.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Another reason for reading the Sugden book: he pours water on the notion of medical knowledge - apparently not much was required.

I always thought Aaron Kosminski was a good candidate (other than Druitt) but Sugden shows that theory up as crap (this is what's good about his book: he does more historical spadework than most).
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Medical knowledge was not necessary, but knowing how to find and get at the organs was. Particularly the kidney, which is concealed by a membrane. This is the kind of knowledge a butcher would have, and the cattle boat sailor would have it.

The only problem with this theory is that it makes the letter the Ripper sent (the one which enclosed a piece of a liver), if it is genuine, a bit hard to explain.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The only problem with this theory is that it makes the letter the Ripper sent (the one which enclosed a piece of a liver), if it is genuine, a bit hard to explain.
                  You mean the kidney? Tother half I fried and ate... and all that.

I don't really think that the letters were sent by the Ripper with the possible exception of that one (the "Dear Boss" letter).

I've resigned myself to never knowing.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

I thought the doctor did it?

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel
                      I thought the doctor did it?
                      Which one?

If you mean Gull...I doubt it. The Royal Coverup theory is fanciful, but rather implausible.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Welcome home Boris! We missed you. Glad you had a good trip.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                        X