What ho, pip pip, jolly good, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry, 2.5 marks is pound 1, 2.5 euros is pound 2

but still Mike, those London rates are hell!

Comment

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, seem like you had a great time.

I've spent several hours at a time in the British Museum and not seen more than a fraction of what they have to offer. Rosetta stone & pantheon are musts though, all the assyrian/babylonian stuff too.

AC is only slowly starting to appear over here, in offices mostly and I agree the tube definitely needs it. Used to commute into london and it could be hell on hot days.

Foodwise, it can vary here from superb to bloody awful - just got to avoid the places as mentioned above that production line it and find somewhere that puts a bit more individual craft in.

Did you find time to visit the tower of london? or some of the other museums?

oh and yeah the 11pm shutting time rule sucks, they are "making" plans to change this but its been happening for several years now, so who knows when we'll finally get more continental style hours.

Comment

I remember getting a pint of water (well, Foster's) in London for £2 . In a Wetherspoon's as well, should be about £1.49.

London hasn't converged with the rest of the country yet.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

1.49 sterling seems alright!

Comment

London never will. Aside from the pull of people within the country to live in London it also has a global pull so demand for living there is always going to be higher than anywhere else in the country. That pushes up living costs, rental costs, and therefore wages and prices in shops. Plus there are all the tourists to rip off.

Bodds Whetherspoons has a whole range of pricings for its pubs depending on what area you live in.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

I can imagine it's basically cheaper in the north of England (Manchester, York, Hull) than it is in the south (London)?

Comment

York isn't cheap - too many tourists so the city centre can be expensive. Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds are better pricewise and certainly a lot cheaper than London
                Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Leeds is now quite expensive.
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

FP: Whaddyamean there's no English food? Cornish Pasty, Shepherd's Pie, Yorkshire Pudding, Mushy Peas, Gravy, Custard, Steak and Ale Pie, Sausage Rolls, Jam Roly-Poly, Flapjacks, Fish and Chips, The Full English Breakfast, Chicken Tikka Masala, Bangers & Mash, Macaroni Cheese, Cumberland Sausages, Christmas Pudding, etc. etc.

I'm probably the only foreigner who likes the stuff.
                    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

A proper Steak and ale pie is one of the finest foods on offer
                      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Southampton dockside bars were charging £3 a pint three years ago, so god knows what they charge now. Easily on par with the most expensive of London pubs though.

Yes the north is generally far cheaper than the south, but far more boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel
                          Southampton dockside bars were charging £3 a pint three years ago
                          They still were 18 months ago too.
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

We got the situation in Manchester a while ago where some clubs would only offer drinks in multiples of 50p.

So, no incremental increases in price.

You'll prob see pints go to £3.50 or £4 in Southampton next.

A pub near does pints of Guinness all day for £1.09, Fosters and Carling for 99p, and John Smith's for 89p. Must be in the lowest tier for Wetherspoon's.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

We used to get pints of Scotch Bitter in the Monk's Retreat (Reading Wetherspoons) for 59p. That ruled. Especially as I was unemployed at the time.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

beer smiley!

Comment

Working...
                                X