Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Hoth's 4th panzer have accomplished its mission had it not been diverted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Hoth's 4th panzer have accomplished its mission had it not been diverted?

Well?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

No chance
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

What?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Who?
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

It's a trick question. There weren't any panzers on Hoth, just AT-ATs, AT-STs and Snowspeeders.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Why?
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

I think the Imperial weapons procurement divisions thought that walkers looked cooler, of course if they'd had panzers they wouldn't have been vulnerable to small rebel fighters.

Again.

Why didn't the designers ever consider small rebel fighters?
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

I do think the rebels performance on Hoth was rubbish, they should have possessed at leat the odd weapon capable of taking out an AT-AT, they had no mobile armour and there trenches wern't big enough to stop the walkers

Comment

They never intended to fight a stand up battle, just hold them off long enough to evacuate. They managed that so it was a success.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

But they didn't really hold them, there was no point where the empires forces had to pause or regroup or even change direction. They walked through.

And having your primary offensive weapon(speeder) incapable of penetrating the armour of the AT-ATs is a really big mistake. Someone high up needs to be sacked.

Comment

You seem to be confusing the rebel forces with a real army. They are a hit and run guerrilla force, they aren't supposed to be getting involved in pitched battles with heavy armour.

At least they had Mr Bronson as a mole on board the Imperial fleet to come out of hyperspace early and give them warning.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

What are you exactly talking about?
                        Taking Stalingrad without a fight before the russians start defending it?
                        If it's that that you mean, I don't know enough about it.
                        I just found this quote from von Kleist:
                        The 4th Panzer Army was advancing on my left. It could have taken Stalingrad without a fight, at the end of July, but was diverted to the south to help me crossing the Don. I did not needs it's aid, and merely congested the roads I was using.
                        When it turned north again, a fortnight later, the Russians had gathered just sufficient forces at Stalingrad to check it.
                        The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

You have to remember that most of the rebel forces were not only under-trained but in fact pretty cowardly. A lot of them were criminals, drug addicts, and other misfits who had fled the Empire's reach. They were clawing over each other to get out of there at the first sight of Imperial forces.
                          Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

I thought it was a proper civil war, The rebel fleet in episode 6 is pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                              You seem to be confusing the rebel forces with a real army. They are a hit and run guerrilla force, they aren't supposed to be getting involved in pitched battles with heavy armour.

At least they had Mr Bronson as a mole on board the Imperial fleet to come out of hyperspace early and give them warning.
                              I bet it was Gripper Stebsons fault

Comment

Working...
                              X