What has the EU ever done for us.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thue
    EU as peacekeeper: Take Italy, which is right now moving towards dictatorship with Berlusconi. Having the EU gives us lots of influence to keep him in check.
    ... ...

Thue, what a sharp political analysis...
    I don't know who told you that but i assure you that no-one here wants to build a dictatorship...

... Berlusconi Hussein Jr.

And about the EU: I really think it's necessary, for economic and political reasons but i've not a lot of time now, so i'll post again later
    "If it works, it's obsolete."
    -- Marshall McLuhan

Comment

• "Public opposition" to GM foods in mainly an excuse for European government to resort to protectionism.

There is nothing wrong with GM foods.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• hi ,

, ........

answer > nothing

Q > do we need them

A > no

Q > do they need us

A > YES

europe , well its a shame to see it going down the drain as it is , .......

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Spiff: Good points, although I think you underestimate the EP.

Originally posted by DanS
          It's about the consumer's right to choose. The EU wants GM foods labeled, the US doesn't. The US claims labeling will lead to people not eating GM foods.

Labeling is only a small portion of the debate.
          But the key issue.

As for the rest of the thread, holy crap...
          “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

• Originally posted by panag
            hi ,

, ........

answer > nothing

Q > do we need them

A > no

Q > do they need us

A > YES

europe , well its a shame to see it going down the drain as it is , .......

have a nice day
            The UK will happily wave goodbye.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• Originally posted by HershOstropoler
              Spiff: Good points, although I think you underestimate the EP.
              Well, until I was an intern there, it was my favourite institution. But I have seen how it works from within... The MEPs spend a tremendous time working hard for nothing : reports that will only be read by fellow members of the committee, speeches at the tribune that will be listened to by nobody, press happenings in order to remind the population that they exist at one year of the next election, etc.

As for their power, they have indeed the power to avoid some texts of being too extreme, and they can channel the anti-abortion lobby
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• So how it works is like every other parliament.

As for their power, 80 - 90 % of legislation is under codecision now where consent between Council and EP is required. I don't know, the "texts being too extreme" and the "anti-abortion lobby" - huh?
                “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Working...
                X