Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has the EU ever done for us.

With apologies to Monty Python.

I know we have free trade but other than that how has the EU improved my life
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

non-bendy bananas!!

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

We are peaceful now Many Euros love it that way
      Blah

Comment

So if it wasn't for the EU, Europe would be at war?

If an EU member wanted to attack another, the flimsy political union would affect it little.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

What's the point of further integration, a constitution, more power to the commision and all that? What do they really want?
          CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
            May be, may be not.

If an EU member wanted to attack another, the flimsy political union would affect it little.
            Why should one want to attack those who are integrated in the same organization, following mainly the same principles etc....
            Blah

Comment

Just becasue France and Germany can't be trusted no to fight each other why should I become a citizen of a european superstate
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

I would argue that we are following similar principles as a result of factors not connected with the existence of the EU.
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Re: What has the EU ever done for us.

Originally posted by TheStinger
                  With apologies to Monty Python.

I know we have free trade but other than that how has the EU improved my life
                  I don't know about your life, but it has improved mine. I was able to work for a portuguese company and use the same money there and here, no problems with permits, passports, etc.
                  Ah!. And good highways both sides of the frontier
                  Ocho peones pasados y ligados. ¡Esta partida la gano!

Comment

I would argue that we are following similar principles as a result of factors not connected with the existence of the EU.
                    I would argue that the EU helped us to uphold similar principles despite national interests, culturaldifferences etc.

TheStinger:
                    Just becasue France and Germany can't be trusted no to fight each other why should I become a citizen of a european superstate
                    I don´t say you have to.
                    Blah

Comment

Re: Re: What has the EU ever done for us.

Originally posted by Antxon

I don't know about your life, but it has improved mine. I was able to work for a portuguese company and use the same money there and here, no problems with permits, passports, etc.
                      Ah!. And good highways both sides of the frontier
                      yes but as you live in spain you'll certainly have seen more benefit from the EU than the poor buggers who have to pay for it...
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

EU as peacekeeper: Take Italy, which is right now moving towards dictatorship with Berlusconi. Having the EU gives us lots of influence to keep him in check.

And EU stabilizes eastern europe; some of it by absorbing it.
                        http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

But we don't need to be kept in check we don't allow crooks to rule us or if they do get in they don't last long.

Berlusconi already has far to much say in the affairs of my country I don't want him having any more.

Comment

just stay out, if you think it´s better. do you think anyone will care?
                            justice is might

Comment

That's the most important benefit of the EU - it gives us something else to hate and blame for problems, rather than other European countries.

As suchm it has vastly reduced the emnity and bitterness that characterised Europe before the EU.

Quite apart from providing a debating ground to give Europe more stability and a faster evolution rate.

If the individual citizens don't want to kill each other, this idea of war between Europeans isn't going to get very far, is it?
                              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Working...
                              X