Which is better? Mozilla or Opera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better? Mozilla or Opera?

I am bored today, so I decided to give Mozilla Firebird a try. It seems nice, and it certainly loads faster than both IE and Opera, plus it also has support for tabbed browsing and mouse gestures. I did not have a chance to try its email client (I'm using the Firebird version, after all), but it seems to be as fast as Opera in terms of browsing and seems to be more compatible with each and every web page -- Opera has problems with some pages.

All in all, I still prefer Opera, it seems to have more customizability options. Which is better for you? Mozilla or Opera?
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

That question is way too vague for a definite answer... but what I can say at this part that Opera having more customizability options is probably not quite true. Just have a look at the stuff at http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions.html . Mozilla Firebird is highly extensible. Oh, and unlike Opera, it's actually free...
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I haven't worked with Mozilla for a while now, but I'm content with Opera as it is, and don't feel like getting a third browser to be honest.

Comment

I've never tried Mozilla, but I'm very happy with Opera.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Lynx

Between only Opera and Mozilla, though, I would say Opera, but I've only had limited recent experience with Mozilla.
          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

intternet eksploorer 4!
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Last time I tried Mozilla was months ago when it still looked like an ugly cousin of Netscape 5.

I'm happy with my Opera 7.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I just use IE though I do have Netscape installed on my computer at home. Is Opera or Mozilla actually that much better on a Win XP machine that I should look into it?
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't know about Mozilla on WinXP (I'm using it at work, Win2000), but I use Opera at home (Win XP) and it is pretty good, fast and use less memory than IE.

One thing bothers me about Mozilla, though: when you go back one page, it tries to reload that page unnecessarily, just like IE (but it is faster than IE anyway). Opera displays that page immediately.

Comment

And Mozilla seems to load images faster, or am I wrong?

Comment

I keep myself up-to-date Mozilla wise and I definitely prefer Opera.

That question is way too vague for a definite answer... but what I can say at this part that Opera having more customizability options is probably not quite true. Just have a look at the stuff at http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions.html . Mozilla Firebird is highly extensible.

Uh huh. Can you make the tabbar vertical along the right side of the screen with a mouse-click? Can you move the address bar to the bottom of the screen with a mouse-click? Extensibility is nowhere near as important as built-in customizability.

My main beefs with Mozilla:
                      -closing a tab brings up an adjacent tab rather than the tab you were viewing before the current one. This might be fixable with MultiZilla or whatever it's called, but
                      -it's too easy to open a new browser window. New windows are only opened in Opera when you hit CTRL+ALT+N, but Mozilla seems to do it for every target=_new. I do not want to use context menus or modifier keys to get something to open in a tab
                      -Preferences is in the Tools/Edit menu rather than the File menu as Allah intended

You should seriously release a version with all of those extensions preinstalled. I am sure there are ones that add a Show Images button, but I have better things to do than make a browser I don't use have enough features to seduce me.

Oh, and unlike Opera, it's actually free...

I live with the banner. I am no more likely to pay for Opera than I am to donate money to an Open Source project via PayPal.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

-Preferences is in the Tools/Edit menu rather than the File menu as Allah intended

But who needs menus when F12 or Alt+P will suffice.
                        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

The windows version of Mozilla rocks!!!

Im running 1.3 now, and its fantastic. I tried all the major web browsers for *nix and windows, and I gotta say that this is the best, forgetting any OS wars, or arguments between proprietery vs GPL vs BSD, Mozilla is still the best. Genius piece of code!
                          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Mosaic!
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So you have like a real old OS ? I'm just asking, cuz that's how the site reads.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X