Which is better? Mozilla or Opera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you load opera ontop of windows?
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
      -it's too easy to open a new browser window. New windows are only opened in Opera when you hit CTRL+ALT+N, but Mozilla seems to do it for every target=_new.
      This is a defined property of HTML. So if Opera doesn't do it, it's not doing things right.

-Preferences is in the Tools/Edit menu rather than the File menu as Allah intended
      Nah. Most programs have that under either Edit or Tools (or some sort of variant thereof). "Files" should be for just dealing with files.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Opera 7 > *

/me proud IE -> Opera convert

Comment

firebird/thunderbird nightly builds

får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

Opera is great, when it is working properly.*

* Apparently, mine is the only one in existance that crashes on 'Poly though.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

This is a defined property of HTML. So if Opera doesn't do it, it's not doing things right.

It opens a new child window/tab. The context menu for a link lists
              -Open
              -Open in new page (shift + click)
              -Open in background (ctrl + shift + click)
              -Open in new window
              -Open in background window

I use the latter four frequently.

/me is a proud Netscape 3 > IE 3 > IE 4 > Netscape 4 > Opera 4 > Opera 5 > Opera 6 > Opera 7 convert
              Last edited by St Leo; May 29, 2003, 16:51.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

It opens a new child window/tab. The context menu for a link lists
                -Open
                -Open in new page (shift + click)
                -Open in background (ctrl + shift + click)
                -Open in new window
                -Open in background window
                What the difference between a new browser window and a new child window? What is the difference between "open in background" and "open in "background window?"
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

What the difference between a new browser window and a new child window?

A child window shows up in the pagebar (tabbar). A browser window shows up in the Windows taskbar and has its own distinct set of pagebar tabs. The background variant is exactly the same except that your current window remains on top.

You can see a tree with all the browser windows and child windows if you enable the Windows sidebar, but that feature isn't complete yet in the current release.

The only time I open up a new browser window is when I want to research the bare human form without closing the tabs in my current window.

Oh, and you can dragndrop tabs in Opera around. It's nifty and I use that every other day.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

no one answered me i assume it is..i had it before and got rid of it..it was an early version
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

/me is a damn proud Mozzist who uses Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird.

First of all I don't recommend using Thunderbird for now. Secondary I recommend Mozilla 1.3.1 right now as Firebird still has annoying issues unsolved and tends to crash during longer sessions. For now I primarily recommend a mixture of both Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird. 1.4 will be soon out.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
                        no one answered me i assume it is..i had it before and got rid of it..it was an early version
                        Was your question "Can I run Opera under Windows?"

The answer is yes.

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
                          Well, I'll try.

I just installed Opera v7 a few hours ago and am slowly getting used to it. It doesn't override my IE v6 at all since I maintain seperate shortcuts on my desktop for IE and Opera. Haven't noticed any problem along those lines yet. In fact, I'm using Opera right now...

I hope that's close to an answer for you, War4ever.
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

To reflect UR's answer, the Opera site offers versions for:

Windows
                            Linux
                            OS/2
                            Solaris
                            FreeBSD
                            QNX
                            (^Those last three. Are they OSs? Never heard of them...)
                            Smartphones/PDAs

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                              Solaris
                              FreeBSD
                              QNX
                              (^Those last three. Are they OSs? Never heard of them...)
                              Yup, they are all variations of Unix.

Solaris is Sun's own version. FreeBSD is a version of BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution), which is itself a version of Unix.

QNX is specificially written to be used as OS's on embedded controllers, i.e., computers used to control machinery, home appliances, etc.

Comment

I think I'll stick with Microsh!t OSs, thank you very much...

Comment

Working...
                                X