Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Wealth: One Giant Pyramid Scheme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Wealth: One Giant Pyramid Scheme?

Is Global Wealth just one Giant Pyramid scheme? Where do you fall? Who's on top? How did they get there?

1 (Gates)
    10 (Warren Buffet, Paul Allen, The Walton Family, Lawrence Ellison, Steven Ballmer, Michael Dell)
    100 (Forbes 500)
    1,000 (Forbes 500)
    10,000 (?)
    100,000 (?)
    1,000,000 (?)
    100,000,000 (You?!)
    1,000,000,000 (You?)
    4,889,888,990 (The combined populations of impoverished and middle class Africa, South America, Asia, Europe, and North America, and you?)

- Almost all of the top 3 layers of this pyramid scheme are all corporate leaders...and probably a good portion of the next few layers...

- Only 2 of the top 11 are women, and are both with the same corporation (Wal*Mart).

- Nearly half of the top 500 are Americans.

- 9 of the top 10 are American.

What does this say about the world of wealth we live in? Does wealth (and correspondingly, power) really flow from the hands of the few elite into the gaping open mouths of the majority? Or is this all just communist left-wing bunk designed to weasel hard working intelligent people out of their hard earned money?
    Last edited by orange; May 27, 2003, 08:58.
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

found at the forbes link

David Filo (yahoo).
    570.000.000 $ (!)
    36 years old (!!)
    single

what a lucky bastard.
    justice is might

Comment

I am in the top Billion. ( The layer that you've missed. )
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Oedo: he's not. You know how hard is it to get a date for such a guy, and actually have a chance of that date not being with you for the money?

* The rich cry, also. *
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
          I am in the top Billion. ( The layer that you've missed. )
          oops! let me edit that in
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

You 4,889,888,990 lesser folk can kiss my ass!
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Communist!
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I used to draw a pyramid of income in order to visualized how exploitation works.

In a triangle, draw 10 layers or so. Then, starting from the second layer, draw a line parallel to the right side of the triangle, within the triangle. This represents the income taken by the first layer on all other layers; it will receive the same colour as the first layer. Then repeat for the third layer, and all others till the ninth.

This pyramid of exploitation just shows that whatever is your layer (except the last one) you exploit all people below, consciously or not. But it does not answer the question of the legitimacy of the exploitation. In other world, the last layer would probably not be better off if they eliminated the nine layers above them.
                Statistical anomaly.
                The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Ran a search for my last name...No results! Guess I had better give up the dream of that unknown rich uncle...
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I have a guy with my exact name running REUTERS for a while.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
                      This pyramid of exploitation just shows that whatever is your layer (except the last one) you exploit all people below, consciously or not.
                      That's not necesssarily true. Productive classes don't necessarily exploit those below them. Most of the working class relies on its own muscle for whatever income it has. Yuo might claim exploitation based on the products they buy, since farm workers are massively exploited, and about $50 a year of that exploitation is passed along to consumers.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yeah, and how can Gates exploit Buffet?
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

That's not necesssarily true. Productive classes don't necessarily exploit those below them. Most of the working class relies on its own muscle for whatever income it has. Yuo might claim exploitation based on the products they buy, since farm workers are massively exploited, and about $50 a year of that exploitation is passed along to consumers.
                          The working class benefits from the work of the underproletariat, either dirty works, or work included in imported goods, or imported spare parts included in finish products. And this is no surprise since this is for a big part the result of the action of the silly, selfish consumers, who are mainly workers.
                          Statistical anomaly.

Comment

We need this natural variation in income/wealth in order to create incentives.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                              Yeah, and how can Gates exploit Buffet?
                              This is a metaphoric approach which cannot be illustrated by individuals ... although I can imagine either one exploiting the other.

Are not they friends, playing poker regularly?
                              Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Working...
                              X