Arafat met the Anthrax - The Anthrax Didnt Survive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arafat met the Anthrax - The Anthrax Didnt Survive

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Arafat 'received anthrax' in post

Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has escaped an assassination attempt, after being sent a package containing anthrax in the post, a former Palestinian minister has said.

Hani al-Hassan, until recently Mr Arafat's security advisor, said the package was intercepted by Palestinian security officials and did not reach the veteran leader.

Mr al-Hassan said the package originated in the Far East, and reached the Palestinian territories after passing through Israel.

Mr Arafat has survived more than a dozen assassination attempts over the past four decades.

Analysed

Mr al-Hassan said the package was found to contain a mysterious white powder.

"At first, we didn't know what kind of powder it was and we didn't waste time in having it analysed in a safe location," he told the Arabic Al-Hayat newspaper.

He said it was sent to a laboratory, where it was identified as anthrax.

Mr al-Hassan said it was the latest in a long line of attempts on Mr Arafat's life.

"I have witnessed 13 assassination attempts against President Arafat, in Beirut and other places. He escaped them all," he said.

He said the Palestinian Authority was unable to investigate where the package had come from because of Israeli restrictions on the Palestinian territories.

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

I guess Arafat didn't put enough postage and it got return of post... Guess he'll have to try again.
    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
      I guess Arafat didn't put enough postage and it got return of post... Guess he'll have to try again.
      As long as this a$$hole lives, there will never be peace. Did you people see him laughing while condemning the bombings.

Comment

to the assassin.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

This Arafat really seems unkillable. He must have an incredible skill in dodging attempts on his life. I suppose we can only wait for him to die of old age...
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

he's a tough mother. he can take the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
              As long as this a$$hole lives, there will never be peace. Did you people see him laughing while condemning the bombings.
              Yeah and then off to his range in Texas the bastard.

Comment

damnit, I'll use less powder next time
                Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  This Arafat really seems unkillable. He must have an incredible skill in dodging attempts on his life. I suppose we can only wait for him to die of old age...
                  His family is known for it's longevity. Most lived till 90.

Arafat is 73-74.

The prospects arent good.
                  "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

yeah, arafat is to blame for everything. he has a tight grip on what everyone does. blaming one man for your ills is scapegoating and we all know how becoming that was of oppresive regimes.

the fact that someone who is jewish could condone the activities of a would be murderer appauls me. youd think after all youve gone through as a race and religion youd understand that violence is never the end to a problem. it will only create a new set of problems while ripping you to shreds like too much glucose in the veins of your kidneys.
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

did I misread the thread, where did you get the info for that rant MRT?? I cant spot other Americans making comments critising Arafat.
                      Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
                        to the assassin.
                        compassionate jew

Originally posted by Joseph
                        As long as this a$$hole lives, there will never be peace. Did you people see him laughing while condemning the bombings
                        cause of all problems
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Sorry , I meant Jew's not Americans.
                          Anyway to the point, there is nothing here to suggest these folk support thier own PM's actions, people are merely condemning a Terrorist - and I share thier sentiment....
                          Up The Millers

Comment

MRT is correct to a point-Arafat is not the source of Palestinian terrorists. However, he played a very large part in encouraging and equipping those terrorists, who have killed tens of thousands since the inception of the PLO
                            "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

but i mean to suggest that arafat is solely responsible for all the problems with peace and killing him would change a lot is daft.

Comment

Working...
                              X