No announcement yet.

Does the US Govt have a clue about good PR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the US taxpayer will fit the reconstruction bill, not Iraq's oil revenue? Or what?

The congress has authorized spending so far of about $2 billion in humanitarian assistance/reconstruction. This modest communications contract is part of the $2 billion. There has been absolutely no suggestion that we would be reimbursed for any of this $2 billion.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"There has been absolutely no suggestion that we would be reimbursed for any of this $2 billion."

Ah yes, but that's not the entire story. The 2 billion serve as the entry point to the maybe 100 billion for Iraqi reconstruction, funded mostly from its oil revenue. And the US seeks to control that money - and one can only assume, to hand it out as pork to US companies.
      “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Worldcom is now managed by Michael Capella, a genius who managed to sell the worthless piece of Compaq to HP for 20 billion and took 16 million in severance for bailing out after only 6 months.

Now he is the CEO of Worldcom, another brilliant move in my opinion: if he saves the company, he becomes the hero; if he doesn't, he takes no blame since Worldcom i\was already bankrupt.

Comment

I understood that WorldCom is one of the best in it's area of expertice, despite it's crappy management.
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
            I understood that WorldCom is one of the best in it's area of expertice, despite it's crappy management.
            Yes, it is the best among telecom companies at ripping off their customers.

Comment

$2 Billion is a) a drop in the ocean to the US, and b) not even coming close to being enough to rebuild Iraq to turn it into the sort of society the US wants it to be (another example of one subjective point of view being forced on another... and in this case it wont work for various sociological reasons that are irrelevent here).

The money to repair Iraq and "get it up to speed", should come from the USA. Are we going to see another example of bad stamina like we saw in Afghanistan? Or are we going to see the USA funding from its own pocket the "project" that it, for whatever [misguided] reasons, it undertook.

Is the money to repair Iraq, something on the order of $70B - $100B I would estimate, going to come from the US pocket, or will Iraq have to provide it for itself, via its own oil and the UN trust fund? Straight answers only please.

If not, why not?

Again, straight intelligent answers. From now on, I take pointless flaming and ad hominems as a sign of poor reasoning and concession in the argument, we should start thinking with our minds, not our flags.
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Working...
              X