"I would like her a lot more if she weren't Muslim"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I would like her a lot more if she weren't Muslim"

I don't think this needs much explaining.

Once I've calmed down, can you help me figure out what to say to my mom?

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

tell her you'll put her in the worst retirement home you can find unless she does exactly what you want

Comment

"She'd like you a lot more, too, if you weren't such a raging bigoted *****."
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

hmm... is this dealing with a friend or girlfriend? It may make a difference is how those words are percieved.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It seems a reasonable comment. I'd like a lot of people more if they weren't Muslims myself. The same could be said for a number of religions and people.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Well, positive thing is that she was honest. At least you know what she thinks, even if you didn't want to hear this. Maybe now you can talk with her and make it better.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

"Well Mom, at least she IS related to Abraham." On second thought this could go down very badly... try it and see.
              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Friendships can be severed, you can have friends who are bigoted go away. It isn't as easy with family. You're angry, but whatever faults she has, remember she is only mom you have, and chances are you willing to be dealing with her a long time. Now it's not that loving relationships with closely related family members can't be severed, it's just that it is a lot more painful to do so. Keep that in mind when dealing with her.
                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Let's face it. People will always feel more comfortable around other's the consider "their kind". It's just human nature; that doesn't make it a good thing but it does make it understandable. Also since your family is Jewish this will make your parent's feel even stronger about you dating a muslim.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Friendships can be severed, you can have friends who are bigoted go away. It isn't as easy with family. You're angry, but whatever faults she has, remember she is only mom you have, and chances are you willing to be dealing with her a long time. Now it's not that loving relationships with closely related family members can't be severed, it's just that it is a lot more painful to do so. Keep that in mind when dealing with her.

If family is bigoted, then jettison 'em I say. I don't care if it is more painful, if I'm choosing friend or family when someone in the family is bigotted, I'll side with friend any day.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How exactly do you define a muslim? How do you know he/she is not secularized and not all that much believes in one God as written in the Koran, hadiths etc etc...? Why does him being a muslim make it harder for you to like him/her? And so on.......
                      This is my principles! If you don't like them I have others!
                      I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

"We have both agreed to become atheist."
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I'm not saying to cave in to them, Imran, but I strongly think jetissoning them is a very bad idea. Especially since JW is 14, if the relationship between him and his parents becomes stormy now it could be very bad for him...
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Also since your family is Jewish this will make your parent's feel even stronger about you dating a muslim.
                            I know of a few Jewish parents who would let there children date people from other religions including Muslims. in fact, tha'ts all of the Jews I know!
                            (don't know that many..) Is'nt that related to as of how Ortodox you are? and what values you are raised and believe in?
                            This is my principles! If you don't like them I have others!
                            I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Just pull the reverse guilt trip... You know... the line they always usually use to zing you...

Just say...

"Mom, I really expected better from you"...
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X