SARS is getting worse not better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fez
    Ran, well the US does not run over its civilians with tanks.
    Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming
    We're finally on our own
    This summer I hear the drumming
    Four dead in Ohio
    Gonna get down to it soldiers are cutting us down
    Should have been down long ago
    What if you knew her and found her dead on the ground
    How can you run when you know.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

Re: Re: Re: SARS is getting worse not better.

Originally posted by Fez

Tingy, the government in Hong Kong is just a puppet controlled by Bejing.
      Oh I forgot, Fez is the expert on Hong Kong government. He knows far more about it than people like me or Urban Ranger. We just live here.
      Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming
        We're finally on our own
        This summer I hear the drumming
        Four dead in Ohio
        *yawn* You mean those shootings at those campuses? Well did it involve crushing true pro-democracy protesters with tanks? No.

Oh I forgot, Fez is the expert on Hong Kong government. He knows far more about it than people like me or Urban Ranger. We just live here.
        Actually I am not. But everybody knows the PRC government is working behind the scenes. To deny that would just be beyond me.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Ran, well the US does not run over its civilians with tanks.

Waco, Branch Davidian. Enough said.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava, ask yourself this... were those protesters in China armed with machine guns?
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

the children killed at Waco didn't have machine guns...
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                the children killed at Waco didn't have machine guns...
                Well I take it this way.. they were used as human shields. I hate defending the Clinton adminstration (as I despise it), but when somebody says something this dumb.. I really gotta speak out.

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                  *yawn* You mean those shootings at those campuses? Well did it involve crushing true pro-democracy protesters with tanks? No.
                  So if those protesters were communists, it's okay to crush them?

Originally posted by Fez
                  Actually I am not. But everybody knows the PRC government is working behind the scenes. To deny that would just be beyond me.
                  Could the state of California or New York work outside the framework of United States?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                    You mean those shootings at those campuses? Well did it involve crushing true pro-democracy protesters with tanks? No.
                    Shot by US soldiers, run over by Chinese tanks. Same diff. The protesters ended up dead.

Originally posted by Fez
                    But everybody knows the PRC government is working behind the scenes. To deny that would just be beyond me.
                    Well, everybody knows that there are many, many things that are beyond you.

You should really try to learn some basic facts about a topic before you comment about it.

Provincial Chinese governments have a lot of autonomy in dealing with local issues and this is particularly true for Hong Kong. You have heard of the "One Country, Two Systerms" principle, haven't you?

The autonomy can be seen by the fact that the Hong Kong government responded differently to the SARS crisis compared to other Chinese provincial governments, and those governments responded differently compared to each other.

Most provincial governments on the Mainland refused to admit there was a problem with SARS. The Hong Kong government was quite open about what was happening.

The Guangdong provincial government was less open than Hong Kong, but more honest than Shanghai and Beijing municipal governments.

If Hong Kong was just a puppet of the Central Government, as you claim, then Hong Kong would have tried to hide the crisis. That did not happen.

The Hong Kong's government failure to react at an early stage is the result of a bureaucratic system created by the British. No one wanted to make a quick decision and as a result, the virus spread. It was not the result of Communism.

Yes, the Central Government works behind the scenes on major policy issues, but so do all federal governments. That's far different from Beijing being a puppet master as you claim.

The Central Government does not get involved in day-to-day issues in Hong Kong like how to treat sick people.

In short, Fez, you don't know what you are talking about.
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I am not aware that BBC and CNN are currently banned. I am sure mindseye can fill us in.
                      Sorry, I haven't been around lately to answer this. I moved to a new apartment, had a delay with internet access, and all the net bars are closed due to ... SARS!

However, today I just got BROADBAND... ZOOM!

In answer to your question, both BBC and CNN are still blocked for mainland surfers. It's very odd because most of the news stories they carry can be read at myriads of other western news sites (e.g. New York Times) which are not blocked.
                      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
                        However, today I just got BROADBAND... ZOOM!
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
                          Sorry, I haven't been around lately to answer this. I moved to a new apartment, had a delay with internet access, and all the net bars are closed due to ... SARS!
                          Ah. Shanghai is pretty much back to normal now, right? At least we are slowly getting that way.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

All the net bars being closed is normal?
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You people act as if the United States still shoots protesters. In recent times their has not been shooting like that, and if there were, the public would have the head of the police officers or whoever done the shooting. Every nation is not prefect and has done things they are not to proud of, but of all nations on earth China is the worst when it comes to human rights.
                              Donate to the American Red Cross.
                              Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Personally I am not worried too much about SARS. When I was listening to the news they sounded like SARS was going to kill us all. Of course they like to scare people to get ratings. Other deases kill more people in a day they SARS has done since we first learned of it. So far SARS has not spread to far and it seems it being contained, but I dont think one can truly stop the spread of any dease.

In China the communist government I think the main reason they are having so many problems with SARS in the first place.
                                Donate to the American Red Cross.
                                Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Working...
                                X