SARS is getting worse not better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SARS is getting worse not better.

CNN is reporting that SARS is getting worse in much of east Asia while the Chinese government continues to play games with the crisis. Officially the Chinese claim the number of new infections is on the decline but a closer look shows the Chinese have just redefined the definition of SARS to exclude a people who are likely infected with the desiese.

When will the communists stop playing word games? Don't these officials know that it was their dilly-dallying at the beginning of the crisis which allowed things to spiral out of control? If they had attacked the problem head on the way the Communist Vietnamese had (irony isn't it?) then the desiese would just be a shadow of what it is now.

Please discuss.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Re: SARS is getting worse not better.

Originally posted by Oerdin
    CNN is reporting that SARS is getting worse in much of east Asia while the Chinese government continues to play games with the crisis. Officially the Chinese claim the number of new infections is on the decline but a closer look shows the Chinese have just redefined the definition of SARS to exclude a people who are likely infected with the desiese.

When will the communists stop playing word games? Don't these officials know that it was their dilly-dallying at the beginning of the crisis which allowed things to spiral out of control? If they had attacked the problem head on the way the Communist Vietnamese had (irony isn't it?) then the desiese would just be a shadow of what it is now.

Please discuss.
    Considering that in late April the US govt similarly adjusted their definition of exactly what a "probable" SARS case is which brought the number of cases in the US down from 200 to 40, I hardly call this playing games.

Games are over. The Chinese government is propagandizing this as a war at home, and I'm sure you've heard about the draconian measures in place to keep the fight going. If you call this "dilly-dallying" then I don't know what serious work is.
    Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

We could of seen this not reach such proportions if the Chinese government took steps in the first place. The Chinese government was kicked in the behind for not doing anything at first and practically ignoring it. But they managed to get on their feet.

The virus is controlled everywhere except Taiwan. Taiwan having better infrastructure than mainland China will be abled to put the disease under caps in due time.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Get your facts straight. From the BBC numbers of dead by country:

Mainland China: 289
        Hong Kong: 251
        Taiwan: 40
        Singapore: 28
        Canada: 23

Knowing SARS kills around 4%-5% if the US had the number of infections you claim then we would expect to see around a dozen dead people. We don't so your numbers must be in error.

Comment

Pervious reports have said the government had officially implaced quarentines in infected areas but reporters have showing videos of migrant workers going in and out of those areas at their pleasure. I'm not questioning the offical policy what I, and may others, are questioning is the governments determination to see those policies carried out.

Comment

Yes, if China was more competent in the beginning those numbers would not be so high. You have to look at number of infected daily, not the number in total dead. However tragic China did not do enough in the beginning however is bringing the disease under control.

Currently, Taiwan actually holds the largest amount infected daily.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Isn't Sava's mom working on SARS? Sava, What's up??
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Get your facts straight. From the BBC numbers of dead by country:

Mainland China: 289
                Hong Kong: 251
                Taiwan: 40
                Singapore: 28
                Canada: 23

Knowing SARS kills around 4%-5% if the US had the number of infections you claim then we would expect to see around a dozen dead people. We don't so your numbers must be in error.
                I wasn't saying that the US was playing games - I was saying that your argument about China playing games is invalid unless you also admit that the US was doing the same thing in late April.
                Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Pervious reports have said the government had officially implaced quarentines in infected areas but reporters have showing videos of migrant workers going in and out of those areas at their pleasure. I'm not questioning the offical policy what I, and may others, are questioning is the governments determination to see those policies carried out.
                  Infected areas?

If you're talking about smaller locations like universities or hospitals, then those quarantines are very strict - and I think you know what strict means. If you're talking about larger locations like entire neighbourhoods or cities, then unfortunately it is impossible to impose any sort of quarantine on such areas.

Comment

Now the Chinese government has alway been big on censorship of the press, but, the recent expansion of censorship to internet chat rooms and any web sites dealing with SARS is some what worrying. I mean why on Earth censor information about a illness unless you are trying to hide how screwed up and ineffective your actions are?

Here is a BBC article about Chinese censorship in general as well as the recent expansion to include the world SARS on internet chatrooms and search engines.

Comment

I'm not defending china here, I'd just like to point out an answer to that question: governments have the collective intelligence of a squeegy.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                        I'm not defending china here, I'd just like to point out an answer to that question: governments have the collective intelligence of a squeegy.
                        True, but some governments have smaller squeegies then others.

Comment

this all surprises you b/c ???????
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003
                            Isn't Sava's mom working on SARS? Sava, What's up??
                            Her company is working with other entities and agencies on a vaccine. She's not directly involved because she's the director of sales... but I get tidbits of news every now and then.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: SARS is getting worse not better.

CNN is reporting that SARS is getting worse in much of east Asia while the Chinese government continues to play games with the crisis.
                              1. Why did you link to the BBC when you said "CNN is reporting..."?

2. Worse is much of East Asia? This is rubbish. From the linked article:

Epidemiologists from 16 Sars-hit regions agreed that most of the world's outbreaks are coming under control - although difficult struggles remain, especially in mainland China and Taiwan.
                              Fearmongering
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X