Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So ban graphics calculators.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

If you can't do very basic, jr. high level addition/subtraction/mult/division, you shouldn't be in those uni courses.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If your calculator isn't made by HP, it's inferior. Though I think the Ti-86 is the one they built for statistics. It does a decent job.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

hps are quite simply the best calculators ever made.

even if they were ass-slow with graph rendering.

'stoo bad that hp closed its calc division recently--probably for good.
          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            Philosophy is teaching you what other people think. I guess that's fine for people who don't know how to think but like to pretend like they're intelligent, like Agathon for example...
            I could make some nasty comment about your intelligence, but I wont
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I never liked RPN...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                I could make some nasty comment about your intelligence, but I wont
                You're the one that moved to Utah, doesn't that say a lot about your intelligence?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

You're the one that moved to Utah, doesn't that say a lot about your intelligence?
                  I moved here because of my wife it's called devotion.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Mmhmm.

Comment

I love my TI-30X IIS. It has a great history feature, that, combined with the five built-in variables, saves you a lot of time when doing stuff like Newton's method and the like.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I'd suggest getting something that uses RPN, which I don't believe the TI series does.

(Just did a search... looks like you can add a program to the TI-83+ and make it accept RPN, but I can't comment on how well that'd work)

Remember, if you're doing a lot of calculations, RPN is your friend. I've got a couple HP scientific calculators (one of them is graphing, but I haven't used that feature in years) and I wouldn't be willing to give up the RPN at all.

Wraith
                        QUARKBAR - the candy with flavour and charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                          TI

Casio
                          could not disagree more.

For statistics, the TI-83+ has everything you need in a simplistic format. If your used to a TI-82, then a TI-83 is not too much change.

I used them for several years, very fine calculators. After my last one was stolen, I upgraded to the TI-89. This is an awesome calculator, though its much more than you would need for statistics or economics. Its built more for algebra/calculus (major emphasis on calculus) purposes, though it can perform statistics purposes fine. If you dont mind the aggrevation of trying to learn a completely new format, and dont mind paying 50 extra bucks, then i recommend it.

However, I must declare the efficiency/simplicity/cost of the TI-83 is better if all you wont be going into calculus much.
                          "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                          - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                          Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                            I've used a calculator in every math class I've taken since freshman year of high school. Why cripple yourself?

For statistics a scientific calculator would probably suffice.
                            It's like Linux, is 'cool' to do it the hard way

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                              I've used a calculator in every math class I've taken since freshman year of high school. Why cripple yourself?

For statistics a scientific calculator would probably suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by cinch

Yes, what is up with that? I thought it was common practice that calculators were disallowed in university maths...

I was mistaken, I guess.
                                in real math calculators wouldn't help at all

Jon Miller
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X