I need Calculator Advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need Calculator Advice.

My TI-82 has stopped working properly, I need a new calculator. Right now I am taking a Statistics course, and will probably be finishing out an econ major. Will a TI-83 be sufficent? WOuld ther be any significant advantage to obtaining a TI-86 or higher TI, or would they just probably cost more and be difficult to understand. (I have experience with TI-82, TI-83, and TI-83 plus)? Any opinions on what I should get?

Thanks
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

TI

Casio
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

TI is the brand of choice in most US colleges and the TI-95 is/was the uber-geek weapon of choice back in my day though I hear they now have one with a color display.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I use fingers and toes (when needed)
        Monkey!!!

Comment

As a math and physics major, the only calculator I've ever used in college has been a $10 "scientific calculator." Graphing calculators aren't worth the money, IMO. But if you're going to get one, get the cheapest one you can.

I've used most of the TI series, and it's definitely not worth it to get a TI-86 over a TI-83. The TI-89/92 can do indefinite integrals which is nice, but you can just use a table/computer to do the same thing and not spend $100+.

IIRC, in my Probability class, pretty much all the integrals I needed were exponentials and Gaussians. Exponentials are trivial, and everyone had tables for Gaussians (and you can't evaluate a Gaussian indefinitely). So my $10 calculator suited me just fine.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

TI-83 should be enough for whatever you do, don't think any profs can assume that everyone in their class has a TI-85.
            Make sure to get the worm calculator game, couldn't have gotten through calc class without it.
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

The worm game is fun.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

The cool thing about the TI-95 was you could get step by step solutions in radians/pie instead of just a final anwser. Thus when you were taking the math test and the teacher said he wanted to see each step in the solution you could easily cheat.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Ti-92

Comment

I had a colour Casio one that I used to program games on. Fantastic fun in a maths exam, almost as much as the E grade one gets afterwards!
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Your school allows calculators?

Pussies.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Why not? I always thought it was silly to disalow calculators. I mean, you are going to use them in the real world!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Your school allows calculators?
                          Yes, what is up with that? I thought it was common practice that calculators were disallowed in university maths...

I was mistaken, I guess.
                          "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                          "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                          "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

I thought it was common practice that calculators were disallowed in university maths...

He isn't using it for university math... he's using it for statistics (which in some unis is seperate) and economics.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You need it if your taking arithmatic...
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X