Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most influential corporation of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ted Striker
    anti-semite means anti USA because jews run USA
    thank god for it
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

"By disfranchising the workers, turning humans into cods of a large machine."

The history of the Ford Motor company from 1903 to 1934 disabuses this notion, for the invention of the assembly line wasn't the notion of one person but the continual improvement of the process as suggested by the line workers themselves.

OTOH, the line itself is brutally hard physical work, especially for college boys like you and me, and it is true that Ford lost it's lead in progressivity in the 1930s with the ascenscien of Harry Bennett (possibly one of the worst corporate goons in history) and the decline of Henry Ford. Still, Walter Reuther and the UAW finally forced Ford into recognizing their right to collectively bargain for the line workers in 1938. Labor-wise, the company finally righted itself in 1945 when Henry Ford II took over and kicked out Bennett.

But a smart company never disenfranchises its workers, and a careful review of corporate history will prove that over and over. Henry Ford knew this, and made use of that fact.

"Of course, "his" modern world includes that of crass materialism, rampant environmental problems, the wasteful reliance on private transportation, which, of course, led to the rise of Big Oil and probably indirectly (at least in part) caused Gulf War II."

By making the fruits of the industrial revolution available for all, rather than the wealthy and the West. For starting the the idea that perhaps machines should build machines, leaving more ennobling tasks to men - this is a vast undertaking, one that will take centuries to complete.

"Big Oil" was already big in 1903. Or did you not hear about Teddy Roosevelt and the Trust Busters?

Private transportation is not wasteful, it is ennobling.

I note that you didn't deny what I said, while adding reasons of your own. So you agree with me then?
      Last edited by JohnT; May 17, 2003, 01:08.

Comment

Hmm. I thought it kind of an ignorant comment to make.
        With all due respect, of course.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I can see Ford. Not the HBCo. Massive impact in Canada, but not much elsewhere.

IBM, and add Microsoft and you have a contender. IBM blew the game when they opted to go off the shelf for the PC and hired MS to write the OS. Microsoft took full advantage of the loop holes, et voila... the cheap PCs and computers in more and more homes. The full impact of that is yet to be felt.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

MicroProse
            Shop Amazon thru my Searchbox, thanks! Narz's Chess Page

Comment

Yeah, but it was IBM who put it all together. They were the controlling force in the creation of the PC, regardless of what happened afterward.

Comment

I would vote for the British East India Company. Nothing like having an entire sub-continent to pillage with complete impunity.

Runner up goes to Standard Oil. To get a sense of its size at breakup in 1911, realize that Standard Oil was broken up into what is now Exxon, plus Mobil, plus the Amoco half of BP-Amoco, plus the Chevron half of Texaco, and a few other smaller companies. Contrary to popular belief, it is likely that Standard Oil attained its size through greater efficiencies, not by engaging in predation against its competitors. Think of it this way: How much would it cost you to start a price war if you only had 10 percent of the market? How much would it cost you to start a price war if you already had 50 percent of the market?

UR:

Remember that in the 1920's Ford offered an unheard of $5 per day wage. But this was not mere generosity on Ford's part. He knew he had to draw people to Detroit in order to man his factories. Hence the migration of blacks from the deep south to northern cities. However, I would agree that some of his political views and the Ford "Service Department" (edit: See JohnT's cross post) don't reflect well on him.
                Old posters never die.
                They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

No, it was going to be created regardless. They were rushed, hense off the shelf technology that they had no strangle hold on. Hense the clones. But all running MS software.

I spilt the deal between IBM and MS. IBM was too short sighted to see and blew the monopoly, MS saw all too well and created another.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Bell Labs boys and girls. Without which we would not be having this debate.
                    Pax Superiore Vi Tellarum
                    Equal Opportunity Killer: We will kill regardless of race, creed, color,
                    gender, sexual preference,or age

Comment

Who invented circuitry that PC's use?

The founder of T.I.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Integrated circuits were due to a little more than one person, I think. And what did TI do with it? Made some good calculators.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Please note that I'm not talking just about the individual Henry Ford, but the organization as a whole. Fords anti-Semetic views did not express themselves through the corporation but rather through his ownership of the Dearborn Independent.

My number 2 choice would be ATT because they:

1. Invented, developed and ran the phone system for the US for a century or so
                          2. Discovered/confirmed the Big Bang
                          3. Invented the transistor

The power of Gutenberg coupled with the revelatory impact of Copernicus, all in one company. And, as a bonus, we'll throw in global real-time personal communications for the hell of it.

Pretty cool, huh?

Comment

I'll research that, and let you know.
                            His name escapes me, but I'm serious.

Calculators.

Comment

Dupont is the answer. Chemistry is the thing that all this technology and manufacturing rest on. It's like in THE GRADUATE: "plastics".

BTW, did you know that at one time, Dupont owned a sizable chunk of GM? And that they built the Manhatten Project refining facilities (huge plant) for a dollar profit?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                                I would vote for the British East India Company. Nothing like having an entire sub-continent to pillage with complete impunity.

Runner up goes to Standard Oil. To get a sense of its size at breakup in 1911, realize that Standard Oil was broken up into what is now Exxon, plus Mobil, plus the Amoco half of BP-Amoco, plus the Chevron half of Texaco, and a few other smaller companies. Contrary to popular belief, it is likely that Standard Oil attained its size through greater efficiencies, not by engaging in predation against its competitors. Think of it this way: How much would it cost you to start a price war if you only had 10 percent of the market? How much would it cost you to start a price war if you already had 50 percent of the market?

UR:

Remember that in the 1920's Ford offered an unheard of $5 per day wage. But this was not mere generosity on Ford's part. He knew he had to draw people to Detroit in order to man his factories. Hence the migration of blacks from the deep south to northern cities. However, I would agree that some of his political views and the Ford "Service Department" (edit: See JohnT's cross post) don't reflect well on him.
                                My reading of THE PRIZE is a little different. And there are plenty of ways to be predatory without price wars. And plenty of reasons for being big and ways of getting big without price wars.

Comment

Working...
                                X