Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most influential corporation of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    Calculators.
    Well, calculators made in Texas are surely sweet, but...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Man, that's like the tip of the ice-berg.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd say in terms of lifestyle, GM and McDonald's have had the two biggest impacts (not necessarily good either) in the last 50 years.

1. GM changed the way people live, allowed the suburbs to be possible, bought out public transportation and then destroyed it.

2. Mickey Dees did two things:

a. Paved the way for successful cookie cutter franchising en masse

b. Allowed the instant gratification culture in America to come into being
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

TI does other things too, they still make alot of really good chips...
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
            TI does other things too, they still make alot of really good chips...
            I know. I buy them. Don't tell Sloww that though.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
              I'd say in terms of lifestyle, GM and McDonald's have had the two biggest impacts (not necessarily good either) in the last 50 years.
              A couple of notes:

GM became GM in no small part to the efforts of Bunkie Knudson, a Ford executive who jumped ship in 1919 and brought the secrets of mass production to GM and its divisions. Bunkie became head of US War Production prior to WW2 (keeping the position throughout the conflict) and was responsible for organizing the entire war production of the United States.

His son started at GM as well, switched over to Ford and was fired within 10 months. Given that there are only 3 companies in the American market at the time, ouch!

McDonalds became possible due to the mobility of the American public, a mobility brought about by the availability of individual automobiles. They started as a carhop service in 1937, after all.

Last edited by JohnT; May 17, 2003, 01:46.

Comment

Absolutely Ford Motor Company. General Motors in general...I don't think anything else comes close.
                "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Bell Labs invented the transistor.
                  Pax Superiore Vi Tellarum
                  Equal Opportunity Killer: We will kill regardless of race, creed, color,
                  gender, sexual preference,or age

Comment

The East India Company. Or possibly Krupp. Maybe deBeers. Come on, people, this is "of all time" not now.
                    I'd rather have a German division in front of me than a French division behind me.--Patton

Comment

Originally posted by cia
                      Bell Labs invented the transistor.
                      Bell Labs is a subsidiary of ATT Corporation, brought about by a 1925 agreement with Western Electric to pool resources for a research lab.

ATT History: http://www.att.com/history/milestones.html

Bell Labs History (pretty informative): http://www.bell-labs.com/about/history/timeline.html

UNIX, laser... who knows, maybe ATT is more influential than Ford.
                      Last edited by JohnT; May 17, 2003, 01:56.

Comment

Hudson's Bay.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

(edit: Bell Labs is now in the Lucent group iirc)

for Influential I would have to go with Dow Jones (Wall Street Urinal) or the New York Times - they both had amazing influence well beyond their business size and beyond their industry. We forget these days how big those papers were.

Ford was just an efficient manufacturerer of a product and GM a conglomerate of the same ilk. Textron could go in the same catagory, well down the list. US Steel was the equivalent of a merger between Ford and GM - that would be higher than the autos, imho.
                          Be the bid!

Comment

Nokia.
                            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Bell Labs was a subdivision within ATT, so I think ATT belongs to one of the most influential companies ever.

The German IG Farben was a very powerful entity before WW2. During WW2, IG Farben gained notoriety through supplying chemicals to concentration camps and employing thousands of slave labors. It was broken up after the war into Bayer, BASF, and Hoechst. As you know, these companies are still the world-leading companies in chemical industry, and Germany is still the world leader in chemical industry.

Comment

The Dutch East Indian Company. Most powerful force in most of the countries it operated in. Most powerful private body in Europe at the time. Richest private body in the world at the time. Set the blueprints for global capitalism and political meddling. Established western imperialism in South-East Asia. Smashed the power of the Spain/Portugal axis. Most powerful navy in the world at the time.

Why any other contenders are being suggested is a bit of a mystery to me.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X