Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most influential corporation of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the most influential corporation of all time?

And why?

Among those that I would think deserve consideration are

The British East India Company
    Standard Oil
    American Telephone and Telegraph
    International Business Machines
    Krupp

But I don't think the above can really top the world-changing influence of the Ford Motor Corporation. Henry Ford and the organization he took over in 1903 brought the industrial revolution to the masses, changing the lives of billions in the process. From the pace of our lives brought by the acceleration of the assembly line, to the development of the mass consumerist society (not to mention providing individual widespread mobility to hundreds of millions), Ford created a lifestyle revolution far more potent and longer lasting than anything the Communists planted. A man born in 1908 (when the Model T debuted) would see the world changed more in his 75 years than any person earlier in history who lived a comparable span.

"But Mr. Ford, the modern world demands..."
    "Young man, I invented the modern world!"

JohnT I almost started a thread like this a few months ago.

Good thread.

I'll have to go with the British East India Tea Company

Fielding one of the most powerful armies in the world.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Actually, i think the world changed more dramatically for a man born in 1808 than for one born in 1908. As for most important private corporation?....

Maybe the (dutch) East India company, the model for most corporations elsewhere, and helped open the way for europeans into asia, africa back in the day.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Oh you are just trying to be different.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          Actually, i think the world changed more dramatically for a man born in 1808 than for one born in 1908.
          Yeah, that was the period of history that gave me pause... then I went ahead and put it in there anyway!

Comment

JohnT never said other companies were excluded from the running, as long as you give a good reason for it.

And yes, I like being different

Comment

You forgot one: the Hudson Bay Company. It was practically all of British North America.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Hudson's Bay Company?

At least, Canada-wise. They controlled most of the country!

But even they cannot match the sheer power and ferocity that is WAL-MART!

Run!!!

EDIT: Curse you, UR! Now I look the fool!
                "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

Yeah, that was the period of history that gave me pause... then I went ahead and put it in there anyway!

Comment

Yeah, if you wanna chime in with another company, go ahead. Note the opening words: "Among those deserving consideration..."

Comment

Re: What is the most influential corporation of all time?

Henry Ford and the organization he took over in 1903 brought the industrial revolution to the masses, changing the lives of billions in the process.
                      By disfranchising the workers, turning humans into cods of a large machine.

"But Mr. Ford, the modern world demands..."
                      "Young man, I invented the modern world!"
                      Of course, "his" modern world includes that of crass materialism, rampant environmental problems, the wasteful reliance on private transportation, which, of course, led to the rise of Big Oil and probably indirectly (at least in part) caused Gulf War II.

Good work Mr Ford.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Texas Instruments.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Of course, "his" modern world includes that of crass materialism, rampant environmental problems, the wasteful reliance on private transportation, which, of course, led to the rise of Big Oil and probably indirectly (at least in part) caused Gulf War II.
                          Plus, he was an anti-semite!
                          "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                          "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                          "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

anti-semite means anti USA because jews run USA

Comment

And all that you say Ur would still not disprove what JohnT said. being influential does not mean being nice.

Though i think Ford is given way too much credit (the myth of Ford).

Oh, and GM and the remnants of Standard Oil are responsible for Big Oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X